1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile Choosing an Email server- Help- Newbie

Hi All,
    I am a newbie to the email server world. My company currently has Exchange Server 2003 with only OWA (outlook Web Access), and has frequent reboots due to hard disk space on the email server. The logical solution would be to enable the settings for outlook (client) so that the data can be loaded onto the local hard disk.

Questions:
    1.How do you enable the settings on Exchange server 2003 to allow outlook access which currently has only OWA settings?

2. Is there a linux based email server that supports outlook on vmware or any virtualization platform to avaoid the reboots.

3. Say if the company is willing to upgrade to exchange 2010, using vmware can I avoid buying the windows 2008 server or virtualize the existing windows 2003 server and use it on VMWARE.

What would the best cost effective solution be to avoid the frequent reboots ?

Thank you
    Neo
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What would the best cost effective solution be to avoid the frequent reboots ?
    It sounds to me like more disk storage, or a review of the settings in exchange that limits mailbox sizes.

If your problem is due to users storing too much in their mailboxes even if you implement a different mail server you'll have the same problem, unless you change the mailserver policies.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

Smile

Originally Posted by Doug G
    It sounds to me like more disk storage, or a review of the settings in exchange that limits mailbox sizes.

If your problem is due to users storing too much in their mailboxes even if you implement a different mail server you'll have the same problem, unless you change the mailserver policies.
    Thank you Doug. IS there a link to do these tasks step by step. Also how do you enable the settings on the exchange server that has only OWA (currently ) to use outlook as a mail client

Thank you
    Neo
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

The logical solution would be to enable the settings for outlook (client) so that the data can be loaded onto the local hard disk.
    Enabling POP3 or IMAP access won't necessarily transfer storage of mail to the client. All of my mail accounts store a copy of all of my messages on both the server and on my local hard drive. This is something I could change client side, but I don't, because I like being able to access my mail from anywhere. I don't know whether exchange would allow you to force a user to delete a message from the server after they download it, I would guess not.

Like Doug said, if space is your issue your only options are really to add more or use less by implementing a mailbox limit and forcing those who are over the limit to delete some messages.

My recommendation is to add more space. Hard drives are dirt cheap, I just bought a 1TB drive for $75 a few days ago, and a 1TB drive will store a lot of E-Mails.
    Last edited by E-Oreo; August 26th, 2010 at 08:56 AM.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Enabling POP3 or IMAP access won't necessarily transfer storage of mail to the client. All of my mail accounts store a copy of all of my messages on both the server and on my local hard drive. This is something I could change client side, but I don't, because I like being able to access my mail from anywhere. I don't know whether exchange would allow you to force a user to delete a message from the server after they download it, I would guess not.

Like Doug said, if space is your issue your only options are really to add more or use less by implementing a mailbox limit and forcing those who are over the limit to delete some messages.

My recommendation is to add more space. Hard drives are dirt cheap, I just bought a 1TB drive for $75 a few days ago, and a 1TB drive will store a lot of E-Mails.
    Thank you E-Orea. I will try to follow your advice on adding more disk space.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

If it were me I'd do some sleuthing to determine exactly why you're having to reboot the server. If it's just due to disk space get some tools so you can analyze what's using the space. Perhaps you have some old forgotten smtp accounts that have no mailbox limits and have been collecting spam messages all these many moons ..

Also how do you enable the settings on the exchange server that has only OWA (currently ) to use outlook as a mail client
    I don't know if you have to change anything in the exchange server to enable other mail clients to connect, but knowing Microsoft it's certainly possible there are such settings. In any case afaik OWA is basically a web mail client running from a web server somewhere, and that web server will have the necessary network ports open to the exchange server. You may need to make some network changes to allow outside imap/pop access to the server, If you're only dealing with outlook clients within the domain you can configure outlook to work in the 'corporate' mode.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo