1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Emails I send through exim4 filtered as spam

I've set up exim4 and configured it to work with the php mail() function. This works fine when I send emails to my gmail account but using the exact same script I cannot send emails via SMS to my cell phone via my my-number at txt.att.net. When I use this same email address from my gmail account it works fine, so I'm thinking that something I am doing resembles a spammer in some way so at&t is filtering these messages out. How can I find out what I'm doing?

Gmail:
    Send to my-gmail-address works fine.

PHP Script:
    Send to my-gmail-address works fine
    Send to my-number at txt.att.net does nothing

Send to my-number at txt.att.net and my-gmail-address only sends to the gmail account.

This server is on a comcast home connection. I also have a server elsewhere on a business connection that is able to send messages to my phone. I can't imagine that it would be something as small as a home vs. business connection.
  3. No Profile Picture

Did you check the exm logs? if you are using php to send the email make sure it sending the headers correctly and a valid From address.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by benoman
    This server is on a comcast home connection.
    Probably because you have a generic PTR record but that's just a guess. I work for an ISP, and they generally will not give you a PTR record unless you are a business with a static IP since your IP address is normally dynamic for residential customers. You can call them and ask but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I assume PTR because when I set up my server, I had the same thing. Gmail would take my email, but most places were rejecting it due to variously worded policies about me having a bad reverse lookup. And I've had to email many admins as to why our company was rejeting their email, bad reverse lookups. Just a way to stop spammers. Generally no email server should be on a dynamic IP address unless it's causing mischief is the ISP's thought.

But again this is a guess. Are you getting bounce backs eventually or just nothing? If all else fails, call att and ask them why they're rejecting the email. If it's to your at phone, they should look in to it since you are a customer.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo