1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

MS Exchange sending email issue

Hello

I have an associate who runs a in-house machine that has MS exchange installed and I provide hosting for his staff's email address.

Now the issue is that once in a while he creates an email (using MS Outlook 2010) and hits the send button and the email just seems to sit in his outbox. after a few minutes if he opens his outbox and then clicks on the email he is trying to send their is no send button like it is sent or at least in the process of being sent. However it does nothing but just sit's their.

So he then has to delete the email and re-write it and hit send again and then it sends. The thing that is boggling my mind is that it does not always happen it is sparatic . Nor does he get any error messages or anything. Also sadly he did not have this issue when he used a prior hosting company for his hosted email service.

My first thought is that it is some sort of issue with his local pc or in-house server since when I login to my servers WHM that I host his email addresses on I don't see any email sitting in the mail queue.

I am hopping some Microsoft exchange guru might be able to offer some suggestions since I can not figure out what would cause this to happen since its not consistent in when it happens

Thanks All
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If your outlook is using smtp to send, mail usually ends up in the outbox when the smtp server (exchange in your case) doesn't respond to outlook. First, there should be a right-click "resent" available in outlook so you don't have to type the message again.

The fact that it sends OK when re-entered hints that you may be having intermittent network issues or something.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you for the respond we are using Imap also this has only started happening when we went from using network solutions to host the email addresses to my personal website hosting server (dedicated server colocated at a data center). Which is also what makes my confused on what would cause this

So you think it is intermitent connection issues with the colocated box?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Network is one guess. Check your mail server log files for clues. Perhaps your mail server has some setup or configuration issues. Maybe the mail server hardware doesn't have sufficient resources. There are lots of possible reasons for your problems.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo