1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Mailing solution for 11K or more subscribers

Hello all,

I use a shared hosting service from one of the reputable web hosts. I have over 11K emails from subscribers to my website. For some reason, the host has disable the feature of sending to morethan 500 emails at a time or on a day unless I moved to a VPS or dedicated server. What I would like to know is:

1) How can I create a local mailserver or if there is an application I can download and use which can send the emails for me?

2) If there is a host that would allow me to send emails (I'm looking for cheap, shared and anything that would get me to do the job without payng quite deeds)

3) If there is an application or sort that can work with my current host but send emails in batch or whatever. I used throtteling feature of phplist application but after 500 emails, the host stopped me.

Please guide me.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

For some reason, the host has disable the feature of sending to morethan 500 emails at a time or on a day unless I moved to a VPS or dedicated server.
    This is not an unusual restriction. Managing a large multi-user mail server takes a lot of time and effort, and sending E-Mails is a relatively expensive task in terms of server resource usage. It simply doesn't make economic sense for shared web hosts to offer large capacity mail servers when most of their customers don't need them. However, there are hosts dedicated exclusively to providing large capacity mail servers. You may want to look at one of these companies to supplement your web host.

1) How can I create a local mailserver or if there is an application I can download and use which can send the emails for me?
    Yes you can create a local mail server. On Linux, postfix or sendmail are commonly used to send E-Mail. Not all ISPs will allow it however; you should check with yours before you try this. Some may block it on a technical level, while for others running your own mail server is a violation of their terms of service. However, as I mentioned above, configuring and managing a mail server is difficult, especially for an 11k user E-Mail list. Additionally, if you run your own mail server your E-Mails are more likely to end up in your user's spam boxes.

2) If there is a host that would allow me to send emails (I'm looking for cheap, shared and anything that would get me to do the job without payng quite deeds)
    There are hosts dedicated to sending lots of E-Mails; most of them don't offer web hosting too though.

[/QUOTE]3) If there is an application or sort that can work with my current host but send emails in batch or whatever. I used throtteling feature of phplist application but after 500 emails, the host stopped me.[/QUOTE]
    You could throttle to 500 per day, but it would still take you nearly a month to send out E-Mails to your list, and the content would be old by the time it reaches your users.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Put a potato on it!
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

You might ask your host if they offer a listserver. With the company I work for we'll offer a customer up to 5k emails per month for free and then charge after that.

Listservers are built to send out a lot emails frequently, such as for a marketing campaign or a mailing list. As Oreo said, it's not unusual to place a restriction like that on a shared mail server and hosting companies also have to consider the potential of getting blacklisted when one IP is sending out so many messages.

That said, you can also try an application called Constant Contact. They price their services according to how many addresses you are sending to but don't seem to restrict by message volume. A quick Google search found these guys too, I haven't used them so I can't comment on their service Talklist .
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo