1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Mobile development what does it take?

Hello All,

I am a programmer and can learn quite fast. I use C# now and have used C, Pascal, Basic, etc before. I'm interested to develop apps for mobile phones. The question is there are quite a number of OS out there (BB, iOS5, Android, etc). Is there a one programming language or application tool that one can use to develop application for each and every mobile phone or is it something that one has to do separately for each mobile phone? I use Windows and would like to maintain using it an environment for my development. Please let me know what I need and how I should go about it?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture

Re :- Mobile Development What Does It Take.

Hello Guys.

Apple tests every iPhone app submitted on the App Store. And thousands of apps have been rejected, asked to change a few things, or sometimes ordered to fix some bugs before re-submitting. Small reason why you should go with an experienced quality iPhone developer. They not only give you a good app, but also peace of mind. Think about it.

All your comment for iphone development are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You will never be able to use a single language/system for developing for every mobile OS out there. Why? The main "culprit" is Apple. the program for IOS you MUST use their dev tools package, and that can only run on an Intel-based Mac PC (this means that your Windows PC is not able to do that no matter how much you want it to). You can probably use the same dev tools package to develop for other mobile OS's, but that's like devleoping for Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac OSX. They are all different. Even if you can use the same language, every OS has it's own internal functions and pointers that the other ones don't. While it is possible to get around these things, most of the time its easier to write the application for each OS again. You can use some core components, but there's going to be a lot of differences.

If you want to get into this, I'd suggest starting with a platform that you have available now. if you have an Andriod phone, learn to program for that. If you have an iPhone, learn to program for that (after buying a Mac of course...). When you get that worked out, you can see how successful you are and move on from that. There's no need to be great at everything straight away. If you try that you'll almost certainly fail because you're trying to do to much to fast. Just take it easy, figure out how it all works for one, and move on from there.

Comments on this post

• Revoh agrees
  7. Contributing User

Checkout Appcelerator. It allows you to build mobile apps using just JQuery, HTML and CSS.

It basically converts your code into a native app.

Saving money is easy with discount codes from Rollback coupons. Coupon codes for online purchases.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you all for the advices. I checked Appcelerator and found it interesting. What I need to know now is apart from installing the studio, do I also need to install xCode etc etc SDKs as mentioned here - > https://wiki.appcelerator.org/display/guides/Quick+Start If so how can I get the downloads for the other various SDKs OR is the software itself install them for me too?
  11. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Originally Posted by TerryMate
    TWhat I need to know now is apart from installing the studio, do I also need to install xCode etc etc SDKs as mentioned here
    What does the page say?

It says...

Follow the steps below to set up your local development environment for the platforms you plan on targeting. If you're just going to be developing for desktop, you can skip right to installing and configuring Titanium Studio.
    So yes, if you are developing for mobile you need to download and install every SDK that is required. As I've said from the start, this isn't going to work on a Windows PC as the IOS SDK can only be run on an Intel-based Macintosh computer.

All that Appcelerator does is take away the need for you to actually learn how to program for the applications yourself.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the advice. Two questions:

1) Are the SDKs free to download, for example, the apple?

2) Why dont I just use flash pro or builder to get the work done if it is complex steps just to develop mobile apps. Adobe flash builder and pro seems to be the answer. Any feedback?

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    What does the page say?

It says...

So yes, if you are developing for mobile you need to download and install every SDK that is required. As I've said from the start, this isn't going to work on a Windows PC as the IOS SDK can only be run on an Intel-based Macintosh computer.

All that Appcelerator does is take away the need for you to actually learn how to program for the applications yourself.
  15. Code Monkey V. 0.9

1) Are the SDKs free to download, for example, the apple?
    Go and look, and then you'll see what is actually required. I've only looked at the Apple one, and that is free to download - providing that you pay their (I think it was) $99 a year developers subscription fee, and you have an Apple PC, which you'd also have to buy. Why do I feel like I'm repeating myself saying that...

2) Why dont I just use flash pro or builder to get the work done if it is complex steps just to develop mobile apps. Adobe flash builder and pro seems to be the answer.
    Flash? The answer? for smart phones? Um... No. For two big reasons. Firstly, it doesn't work in IOS and most likely never will, so anyone with an iPhone/iPad/iPod/etc will never see your content. Secondly, with the advances with JavaScript and HTML5 around the corner, Flash is nowhere near as useful as it used to be because the effects that everyone is looking for now can be done using JavaScript anyway - Assuming that whichever SDK/SDK's you decide on can actually use that.
  17. No Profile Picture

How come flash cannot develop iOS apps? Please read here http://www.adobe.com/devnet/logged_in/abansod_iphone.html also I downloaded Flash PRO now and it has template for creating IOs apps using AIR. Is that not working now? Do you have reference attesting this fact so I should stop developing apps with flash? Thank you in advance
  19. Code Monkey V. 0.9

OK, I stand corrected on that point. I haven't bothered with Flash since CS3 because I couldn't see a need for it any more with what I did, so I haven't kept up with what CS5.5 can do.

Having said that I still can't find anywhere that tells me if I would need to have the Apple SDK's as well, or if these are needed anywhere, so I still can't answer the question about if it will work or not. Why don't you ask Adobe? It's their software, so they should be able to support it better then we can.
  21. No Profile Picture

The apple company assessments every iPhone app posted on the App Shop. And a large number of applications have been denied, requested to modify a few factors, or sometimes requested to fix some insects before re-submitting. Little purpose why you should go with a knowledgeable excellent iPhone designer. They will not only provide you with a good app, but also satisfaction. It would really be worth helpful . . . . . . . .

business marketing services
  23. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Hello All,

I am a programmer and can learn quite fast. I use C# now and have used C, Pascal, Basic, etc before. I'm interested to develop apps for mobile phones. The question is there are quite a number of OS out there (BB, iOS5, Android, etc). Is there a one programming language or application tool that one can use to develop application for each and every mobile phone or is it something that one has to do separately for each mobile phone? I use Windows and would like to maintain using it an environment for my development. Please let me know what I need and how I should go about it?

Thanks
    Hey buddy
    Check out this link, you will learn lot from it...
    http://techieworld.edublogs.org/2013/03/07/how-to-start-up-with-mobile-application-development/

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo