1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Redirect/design mobile website

hello,
    i'm trying to design a mobile version for my site. I just plan to use simple html/text and css to put up a simple version of the site which is less than 20kb. would this be a problem since i'm not using WML or WAP?

also another question is how do you find out if the user is browsing from their phone so i could redirect them to a different folder on my web server that contains the mobile version?

thanks
  3. Retired
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You cannot do this with static HTML. You would either need to do with scripting language like PHP or purely server i.e htaccess if on Apache web server.

You should always give the user the option to choose though. Although many site now redirect to mobile sites after correctly identified as a mobile - I don't necessarily want to use a mobile version: N900 is more than capable of handling full web sites when on WLAN.

Cheers,
    Jamie

>_ skiFFie ? | Twitter

Let the might of your compassion arise to bring a quick end
    to the flowing stream of the blood and tears .....
    Please hear my anguished words of truth.

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by jabba_29
    You cannot do this with static HTML. You would either need to do with scripting language like PHP or purely server i.e htaccess if on Apache web server.

You should always give the user the option to choose though. Although many site now redirect to mobile sites after correctly identified as a mobile - I don't necessarily want to use a mobile version: N900 is more than capable of handling full web sites when on WLAN.
    thanks or the reply.. sorry i guess i didn't explain myself well..

what i meant is that i'm going to create php scripts that do all the server stuff in the backend and spit out normal html to the user instead of wml.

so my php file index.php would return lets say:

<html>
    <body>
    <h1>welcome to my mobile site</h1>
    </body>
    </html>

my question is that would that be ok or are all mobiles sites written in WML?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Most mobile sites are written in standard XHTML/CSS.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo