1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile Voice recognition data input help

I admit not knowing if this is the proper forum. I'd appreciate the guidance.

The question: Would it be a large undertaking to integrate voice recognition into an app so a person could verbally input data, and/or type the data in as well?

The app would be an inspection application, built for smartphones and tablets.

Any guidance is welcome.
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    I actually have a new team member who did this in his last job. IIRC, he said he used a speech recognition library called Sphinx developed at Carnegie Mellon, for his application. You can google for it.

Bear in mind that it is not just the software though -- there needs to be a certain level of hardware support for speech recognition to work decently. For example, there's a very good *technical* reason why Siri is only for iPhone 4S and beyond and not the iPhone 4. It has to do with a noise reduction hardware chip, whose purpose to read only the user's voice and filter out all the secondary noise around the user. The iPhone 4 has an older version of this chip and the iPhone 4S and above have a newer version of this chip and they can read the user's voice without the user having to hold the phone to his/her face (the vendor for this chip is Audience Technologies).

Similarly, for Android, certain devices have better hardware than others and your speech recognition can only work if the hardware is "good enough" to support it.

In my colleague's case, he didn't need to worry about supporting a variety of different hardware devices, as the software was meant for a customer who standardized on one device and had a large budget (sorry, can't go into more details )
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo