Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Tutorial for kannel newbies in SUSE 10.0 do this....

hi guyz,
    u must have really seen me suffering n askin all sorts of quizes about kannel in this forum.....
    now i decided to write this tutorial just to help all the others like me but are afraid to ask.
    if ur new n would like to get kannel running on Suse 10.0 then pliz try these. they r the steps i used n got kannel running.

1. cd to the dir that has the gateway after u have unzipped it
    2. then type ./configure -enable assertions -with-malloc=native -enable-start-stop-daemon -enable-pam
    2. this should go on very well
    3. then type make
    4. then type make bindir=/local/usr/bin install
    5. this should succesfullly install the kannel.
    to start the kannel boxes after installation,
    6. cd /usr/local/bin and u shud be able to see all the sms, bearer, wap boxes...etc by typing ls -a
    7. then u can copy the smskannel.conf script from the kannel installation folder in the test dir. paste it in /usr/local dir
    before u start the boxes make sure ur localhost is running if not type rcapache2 start n this will start it
    8. ./bearerbox /usr/local/smskannel.conf should succesfully start the bearerbox
    then on a different terminal window from the one running the bbox, enter as below
    9. ./smsbox /usr/local/smskannel.conf should start the smsbox.
    after all the boxes are running well, u can try testing it out using the fakesmsc feature.
    now again on a different terminal window,(make sure u have lynx installed, if not install it 4rm ur cd packs)
    10. type lynx -dump "http://localhost:13000/status?password=bar"and this should show u the status of ur running kannel.

now as at this point u can b sure at least ur bbox and smsbox are running ok if u dont get any errors.
    now to test the fakesmsc i copied the test dir from the installation dir of kannel into /usr/local
    for good practise in a new terminal window
    11. type /usr/local/test/fakesmsc -i 0.1 -m "100 200 text nop" "100 300 echo this"
    this should simulate 4 u the text msgs n if it is successful u can at least know that for testing purposes ur kannel i up and running well.

from here am yet to proceed n go to the other tough parts of now connecting with a real gsm phone.....from here any of the experienced kannel users can help us....newbies!!!!

now i know this is not so much of benefit to the hardcores but any newbie out there...i dont want u to suffer the way i did...incase of anything or any quizes pliz i'll b glad to answer (only regarding this reading).

thanks a lot jabba_29 and andymoo for ur help.

i'd be very glad if someone extended this small tutorial and also produce another tutorial to help "us" implement the other many services kannel has to offer....its an open world!!!!

hope it helps someone out there!!!!! gdluck

Comments on this post

• andymoo agrees : You've been stickied!
    • jabba_29 agrees : Persistence paid off: good work :)
    • ryon420 agrees : Very helpful!
  3. No Profile Picture

Talking U guy

Why did it take you that long to generate the solution??by the way check on your English!!You come from Jamaica??
    Anyway nice work Whiz
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by royashoya
    hi guyz,
    u must have really seen me suffering n askin all sorts of quizes about kannel in this forum.....
    now i decided to write this tutorial just to help all the others like me but are afraid to ask.
    if ur new n would like to get kannel running on Suse 10.0 then pliz try these. they r the steps i used n got kannel running.

1. cd to the dir that has the gateway after u have unzipped it
    2. then type ./configure -enable assertions -with-malloc=native -enable-start-stop-daemon -enable-pam
    2. this should go on very well
    3. then type make
    4. then type make bindir=/local/usr/bin install
    5. this should succesfullly install the kannel.
    to start the kannel boxes after installation,
    6. cd /usr/local/bin and u shud be able to see all the sms, bearer, wap boxes...etc by typing ls -a
    7. then u can copy the smskannel.conf script from the kannel installation folder in the test dir. paste it in /usr/local dir
    before u start the boxes make sure ur localhost is running if not type rcapache2 start n this will start it
    8. ./bearerbox /usr/local/smskannel.conf should succesfully start the bearerbox
    then on a different terminal window from the one running the bbox, enter as below
    9. ./smsbox /usr/local/smskannel.conf should start the smsbox.
    after all the boxes are running well, u can try testing it out using the fakesmsc feature.
    now again on a different terminal window,(make sure u have lynx installed, if not install it 4rm ur cd packs)
    10. type lynx -dump "http://localhost:13000/status?password=bar"and this should show u the status of ur running kannel.

now as at this point u can b sure at least ur bbox and smsbox are running ok if u dont get any errors.
    now to test the fakesmsc i copied the test dir from the installation dir of kannel into /usr/local
    for good practise in a new terminal window
    11. type /usr/local/test/fakesmsc -i 0.1 -m "100 200 text nop" "100 300 echo this"
    this should simulate 4 u the text msgs n if it is successful u can at least know that for testing purposes ur kannel i up and running well.

from here am yet to proceed n go to the other tough parts of now connecting with a real gsm phone.....from here any of the experienced kannel users can help us....newbies!!!!

now i know this is not so much of benefit to the hardcores but any newbie out there...i dont want u to suffer the way i did...incase of anything or any quizes pliz i'll b glad to answer (only regarding this reading).

thanks a lot jabba_29 and andymoo for ur help.

i'd be very glad if someone extended this small tutorial and also produce another tutorial to help "us" implement the other many services kannel has to offer....its an open world!!!!

hope it helps someone out there!!!!! gdluck
    HI!

I am also quite new to kannel and Linux. I need to use it for my project. I am using Fedora Core 4 and I'm wondering if the same steps apply for fc4. When I follow the second step on fc4 I get this error:

configure: error: -enable: invalid option; use --help to show usage

but when I type
    ./configure
    it works, will that not give any problems with the rest of the steps? Please help!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by mckay
    HI!

I am also quite new to kannel and Linux. I need to use it for my project. I am using Fedora Core 4 and I'm wondering if the same steps apply for fc4. When I follow the second step on fc4 I get this error:

configure: error: -enable: invalid option; use --help to show usage

but when I type
    ./configure
    it works, will that not give any problems with the rest of the steps? Please help!
    hi mckay,
    am not sure with fc4 but i believe u r using the fc4 packages. but the ./configure alone should work since there are default values that will be set automatically:
    and please try ./configure --enable........etc and see if it works.
    and yes the other steps will proceed well without any other problems.

try it out n let me know. and please make the user guide your companion.
    gdluck.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by royashoya
    hi mckay,
    am not sure with fc4 but i believe u r using the fc4 packages. but the ./configure alone should work since there are default values that will be set automatically:
    and please try ./configure --enable........etc and see if it works.
    and yes the other steps will proceed well without any other problems.

try it out n let me know. and please make the user guide your companion.
    gdluck.
    Hi royashoya

Thank you for your help. The ./configure command worked. I used the command:

./configure --enable-assertions -with-malloc=native --enable-start-stop-daemon --enable-pam

the other steps also worked well.

I see from the user guide that there is a section for installing rpm package. Does it mean that I have to install akannel rpm package after following the given steps? There seems to be a mismatch of directories given in the user guide compared to the ones on my system. For example:
    I can't find the kannel dir in /usr/share/doc dir hence no examples/kannel.conf file as stated on page 11 of the guide, thus why I wonder whether I should install an additional rpm package.

Thanx a million for your help!
  11. No Profile Picture

Helo!

I have realised that the rpm package is an altenative to the tar package. There is not need to install the rpm package if the tar is successfully installed.
  13. No Profile Picture

Helo!

I have realised that the rpm package is an altenative to the tar package. There is not need to install the rpm package if the tar is successfully installed.
    I am using a wavecom Fastrack M1306B modem. It is said to be compatible to linux. How do I get my fc4 to recognise it? The manual is for windows users.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hi mckay,
    about the packages in the tutorial, there is no need to install the rpm if u've put the zipped packages. all u need to do is just like go to /test dirctory of the original folder u installed from and copy whichever files u need to use into an appropriate location in ur machine where u have installed kannel. it really does not matter coz u will be just referncing the files.

i can see u have gone a step further than me in adding a modem,am still trying to pull resources for that so i really cant say much on that. but i'll try figure out how to do that.

I am using a wavecom Fastrack M1306B modem. It is said to be compatible to linux. How do I get my fc4 to recognise it? The manual is for windows users.
  17. No Profile Picture

Hi mckay,
    Try to use the minicom to connect to your Wavecom Fastrack M1306B modem.
    It's important to have all configurations correctly in minicom, such as port, Bits per second, Data bits, Parity, etc...
  19. No Profile Picture

Guide on using Wavecom Fastrack M1306B with Linux

Hi All!

A brief guide on using Wavecom Fastrack M1306B with Linux:

• no driver is required

• a SIM card (use your mobile phone to disable the SIM lock first before inserting into the modem)

• PC with serial port

• you need serial port control such as "minicom", "RXTX" (rxtx.org) or javax.comm (java.sun.com/products/javacomm/)

• baud rate set to 119200

• M1306B user guide and latest AT command that you can download from:mobitek-system.com/Download/Fastrack_M1306B_Guide.zip

For those who are using Wavecom Fastrack M1306B with Windows, this may be helpful: mobitek-system.com/SMS_Gateway/SMS_API_version3_Manual/index.html

Hope the brief guide helps. Best of luck!
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Helping
    Hi All!

A brief guide on using Wavecom Fastrack M1306B with Linux:

• no driver is required

• a SIM card (use your mobile phone to disable the SIM lock first before inserting into the modem)

• PC with serial port

• you need serial port control such as "minicom", "RXTX" (rxtx.org) or javax.comm (java.sun.com/products/javacomm/)

• baud rate set to 119200

• M1306B user guide and latest AT command that you can download from:mobitek-system.com/Download/Fastrack_M1306B_Guide.zip

For those who are using Wavecom Fastrack M1306B with Windows, this may be helpful: mobitek-system.com/SMS_Gateway/SMS_API_version3_Manual/index.html

Hope the brief guide helps. Best of luck!
    @royashoya :
    dear sir, you have done a great job but i have some problems.
    sir i couldn't find the smskannel.conf script in test folder.would you please help me what can i do now....im stuck at step 6.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by abidtrand
    @royashoya :
    sir i couldn't find the smskannel.conf script in test folder.would you please help me what can i do now....im stuck at step 6.
    somebody help me please.......
  25. Retired
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hi,

You may have noticed that royashoya's post is from some time back.
    Please state the operating system you are using.

Bottom line is to search the machine for the .conf file. Grep in unix I think should allow you to search or in windows it is quite straight forward to look for it.

How have you gone about the installation?
    Last edited by jabba_29; July 9th, 2009 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Bottmom lin?? :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Jamie

>_ skiFFie ? | Twitter

Let the might of your compassion arise to bring a quick end
    to the flowing stream of the blood and tears .....
    Please hear my anguished words of truth.

27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by abidtrand
    @royashoya :
    Hi abidtrand,

sorry been off the list for a while. I agree with jabba_29, let us know which OS and Kannel version you are using....before then you can try jabba_29's method or if you are using any "Redhat" based OS like fc, centos...etc u might want to try:

#updatedb
    #locate smskannel.conf

the 1st step will update your indexing and the second will search through your files and locate the smskannel.conf file. Once you get its location....you can be able to proceed with the given steps...

hope this will be helpful.
  29. No Profile Picture

Smile

@jabba and royashoya :

thankyou very much for the reply .actually i found the script file by using egrep .found the script smskannel.conf in gw directory instead of test directory.and im using open-suse 11.1.
    I am now trying to send sms using my mobile phone.I would b more than thankful if you can give me an idea as how to do that.
    thanx alot
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo