Thread: Wap Server

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wap Server

I was trying to setup my own wap server with apache.. what is the setting and file i have to amend?can apache be conf as a wap server?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You just need to make some Addtype in your httpd.conf:

Addtype text/vnd.wap.wml .wml
    Addtype text/vnd.wap.wmlscript .wmls
    Addtype application/vnd.wap.wmlc .wmlc
    Addtype application/vnd.wap.wmlscriptc .wmlsc
    Addtype image/vnd.wap.wbmp .wbmp
  5. No Profile Picture

i set already..
    i put the wml files in my apache/htdocs/wap/..
    i goto my GPRS phone and enter http://<myip_address>/wap/index.wml
    but it still cannot connect
    Last edited by blackie; July 10th, 2003 at 09:55 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You should not have to do any AddTypes in Apache. In fact, I would take those out if I were you. The default mime types file contains all the necessary WML types. Apache can server WAP, WML, WBMPs, WMLScript, etc, with no problems. Basically, HTTP stands for "Hypertext Transfer Protocol" but it really has nothing to do with hypertext. It should more properly be called "transfer files with MIME type specified and allow the client to send files and data back" but that's not such a great acronym and I think that at the time HTTP was first created, there were no images, and so it really was used exclusively for hypertext.

Anyway, please contact me if you have some questions about how to set up WAP service. If you need a commercial WAP server solution that automatically transforms HTML into WML, reformats images and detects devices, and lets you do all of this with one URL for both wired and wireless users, also check out http://chiralsoftware.net.

As for it not working with your IP address in the URL, I have no idea why that is. Maybe the phone, or the gateway doesn't like IP addresses in URLs. Many devices and gateways have bugs or are not completely compliant with the relevant RFCs. One thing that is sometimes useful in figuring these questions out is to do a tcpdump on the server (with the relevant filters) while you attempt to hit the site from your phone, just to see if traffic is getting to your server at all. If no packets are getting there, and you are sure the IP addr is right, then that tells you where the problem is.

------------
    WAP hosting
    Last edited by ChiralSoftware; March 10th, 2004 at 01:41 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo