1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Using a user's mobile number as his login???

Hi there,

Here's the deal, i am creating a website where peepz can bookmark some content if they are members. Now i want the bookmarks and there content available via wap.

I am creating a simple wapsite (mysql/php/wml) but i would like to avoid a login page. So i came up with the following thought:
    For the wapsite a user mobile phone number is his (automatic)login and all his bookmarks are collected.

Is this possible?

thnks in advanced.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I tell my users to have their GPRS connection always on, so that their IP address won't change, and I make checks based on that. Of course, they have to have GPRS for that to work...
    I think you can also use cookies, but I haven't fiddled with them yet!

Cheers!
  5. Mini me.
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Smashway,

You cannot guarantee the IP address is constant. If you are the only user of GPRS in your area then you probably will be given the same IP address each time. But if GPRS is popular...

In poor coverage situations: GPRS always-on really just means that if there is not an IP link made then re-establish the link. Because the networks use DHCP this effectively randomises the IP address every time a connection is made/re-made.

In good constant coverage: Cells are grouped, within the group the user will get hand off to adjacent cells as he moves about. This will maintain the session and IP address. If you move out of the group, the session cannot be maintained and the connection will be dropped, the auto-reconnect will give you a new IP address.

Grim

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo