1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Abit AT7-MAX2 +boot problem

Hey all,

I have an Abit AT7-MAX2 that I am having a problem with. I was playing Counter-strike yesterday and my PC froze up solid. This is very odd, since my PC has always run very well. Anywho, I powered it off and then turn it back on and the thing will not boot. No beep codes, no display, nothing. The only thing that happens is the power comes on and the hard drive activity light stays solid (on).

I replaced the RAM and Video card with working parts and still nothing.

I am fearing the worst. Do you guys have any suggestions? This board is not that old and I really need to get this machine up and running again.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

were you overclocking the system when this occured?
    this could be the motherboard, processor, or power supply, even though it lights up the front pannel. try unhooking all drives, everything but the video and ram and processor fan, no mouse, keyboard...ect. and see if it post, if not use the cmos jumper and clear the settings and try again, after that it has to be the psu, cpu, or mo/bo if the problem still occurs
  5. No Profile Picture

The system is overclocked, yes.

I will try this stuff when I get home. I was planning on doing this anyway, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

I hope that this board is not fried. It's only 8 months old.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

overclocking is the most well know stability issue in playing games. the reason i asked is it sounded like it was the most likely cause. you may not be fried, try jumping the cmos first. if that gets you going you just pushed it a little to far, drop back a little from where you were the first time.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by Known_criminal
    overclocking is the most well know stability issue in playing games. the reason i asked is it sounded like it was the most likely cause. you may not be fried, try jumping the cmos first. if that gets you going you just pushed it a little to far, drop back a little from where you were the first time.
    This machine has been running this OC stable for months.

I reset the CMOS and tried to turn everything on, still no go.

I have a buddy that has a machine that is almost the same specs as mine. I am going to throw each piece of my PC into his setup and see what gives. This is extremely frustrating. I got some indication today in my testing that it might be the PSU that went. That would be the best case senario IMO. PSU's are cheap and easy to replace.

I tore the entire machine apart today which turned out to be a chore. (Disassembling a water cooled setup and not getting wet is more of a task than I thought. )
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

well i hope the best for you, i agree with you about the psu, i buy them new off ebay really cheap usually cheaper then ram, i use these situations as a upgrade excuse. good luck and happy hollidays.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by Known_criminal
    well i hope the best for you, i agree with you about the psu, i buy them new off ebay really cheap usually cheaper then ram, i use these situations as a upgrade excuse. good luck and happy hollidays.
    It was the motherboard.....RMA in progress.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo