1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Biostar P4M800-M7A won't boot - single beep - no monitor

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bought this system: Barebones Biostar P4M800-M7A/Dual Core Pentium D 840 3.2Ghz/500w power supply. I swapped in all the drives and such from my old system and had it all up and running. Then things went south. After running OK for a while, it started locking up. I tracked down the source of the lockups to a bed memory chip. One of my Kingston 400Mhz 512K chips, which ran fine in my old system at 333Mhz, couldn't keep up with the new motherboard. Then the CPU cooler fan got noisy and when I opened it up, it had thrown a fin off.

I've got a new fan on order, expecting it tomorrow. Right now, if I power it on, the fan is noisy and the system beeps once and does nothing. Clearly the motherboard is getting power. The lights on the Lan connection light up. The floppy and CD drives all power up and appear to cycle through, but I don't get the second longer beep that I'd expected. My MOBO manual tells me that if there's no memory, it should beep every 2 seconds, so I removed the memory, and it doesn't do this. I'm waiting until tomorrow when the fan gets here.

What should I do next? I've reset the BIOS (I think) with the JCLOCK jumper. I've removed all the IDE and floppy cables and tried to boot. Nothing. The video is on-board, as is lan, USB, etc. I don't have another processor (socket 775) to try. When the new fan gets here, I'm going to pop the processor out and reseat it.

I did follow all the typical rules for grounding and such, making sure that I grounded myself on the chassis, etc., although I didn't use a grounding wire. I did swap the memory in and out a lot of times while I was troubleshooting.

Thoughts. Suggestions?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by dc01bb
    I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bought this system: Barebones Biostar P4M800-M7A/Dual Core Pentium D 840 3.2Ghz/500w power supply. I swapped in all the drives and such from my old system and had it all up and running. Then things went south. After running OK for a while, it started locking up. I tracked down the source of the lockups to a bed memory chip. One of my Kingston 400Mhz 512K chips, which ran fine in my old system at 333Mhz, couldn't keep up with the new motherboard. Then the CPU cooler fan got noisy and when I opened it up, it had thrown a fin off.

I've got a new fan on order, expecting it tomorrow. Right now, if I power it on, the fan is noisy and the system beeps once and does nothing. Clearly the motherboard is getting power. The lights on the Lan connection light up. The floppy and CD drives all power up and appear to cycle through, but I don't get the second longer beep that I'd expected. My MOBO manual tells me that if there's no memory, it should beep every 2 seconds, so I removed the memory, and it doesn't do this. I'm waiting until tomorrow when the fan gets here.

What should I do next? I've reset the BIOS (I think) with the JCLOCK jumper. I've removed all the IDE and floppy cables and tried to boot. Nothing. The video is on-board, as is lan, USB, etc. I don't have another processor (socket 775) to try. When the new fan gets here, I'm going to pop the processor out and reseat it.

I did follow all the typical rules for grounding and such, making sure that I grounded myself on the chassis, etc., although I didn't use a grounding wire. I did swap the memory in and out a lot of times while I was troubleshooting.

Thoughts. Suggestions?
    I have the same problem .. please email me when you find an answer and i will do the same
    my name is jimmcaw and im at hotmail... thanx
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I would remove all additional hardware including any add on cards, drives etc... see if you can get it to post...

BTW...I would not run the system until you are sure it is being adequately cooled...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo