1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Not booting but power everywere else?

ok, i recently swapped my whole system into a new coolmaster case and everything was running perfectly then i went out and i bought 3x 80mm l.e.d fans and a new coolmaster cpu fan now when i went to take the old cpu fan out the metal hinges wouldn't come out..so i snapped them off and they were only held to the plastic chassis.

I then attached the new one but couldnt get the new restraints on but it was still held firmly in place and was touching 100% of the cpu I then installed the 3 new fans and a ble cold cathode. I put everything back together and powered it up and everything lit up but no signal was getting sent to the monitor, the hard drive wasnt booting up and the cd-rw wasnt opening but the dvd-rw was opening and firing up.

I then fiddled on and took out the IDE cable that had the cd-rw as slave and the hard drive as master powered the system up and noticed the the hard drive booted and the cd-rw worked aslong as they didnt have the IDE cable in so i thought it must be the motherboard.

I then went out and got a brand new ABIT IS7-E and put all the new parts in and the cpu fan restraints now fastened down securely. I powered up the system the same thing happened, there is power to all fans,keyboard,mouse,USB modem,dvd-rw. The hard drive and cd-rw still power up when the IDE cable isnt attached. I then tried a different AGP card and that had no effect so i know it wasnt that so i thought about the RAM i found i had on stick in the wrong place so i put it in the right slot and double checked the manual to make sure it accepted pc2100 and it does and i checked the RAM on another system and it works fine.

So here I'm thinking what to do, The hard drive still has the drivers on from the old motherboard but it also has the drivers for the AGP card, so please can someone help me i'm losing my mind........
  3. Contributing User

you may have cracked the processor when you were trying to change cpu fans.
    She showed me her software so i pulled out my python.
  5. No Profile Picture

Exclamation

no it cant be that i was extra extra careful when changing the cpu fan i took my time and made sure that it didnt have a chance to break because i have no idea how fragile they are so i was cautious, i think i may have found the problem though i think it maybe because my hd still has all my old drivers and stuff on someone told me that if i get someone to format my hard drive and put my new motherboard drivers on and operating system it should boot up?
  7. Contributing User

if you are not getting signal to the monitor, it is more then xp not booting from a swap, it has to be either the ram, video card not seated correctly, something pluged up wrong, or unplugged and missed when put back together, cmos may need reset, or something died, ram, processor, motherboard, or video card.
    She showed me her software so i pulled out my python.
  9. cheers to new beginnings

re:

you may have cracked the processor when you were trying to change cpu fans.
    Happened to me. lol.
    Keston.E: http://roxihost.com
    "When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King."
  11. No Profile Picture

yeah i think i may have snapped the proccessor cause it made a weird noise and everything else was tested on a new machine and worked apart from the proccessor, anyways i took the motherbaord back aswell and got my money back cause pc world is a rip off and i'm now getting an intel 875 s478pbz, and intel 4 2.8ghz with 800fsb, and 2gb of kingston hyper x 400 then to follow with a 200bg hd and a new ati 9800xt ohh i think i just wet my pants!
  13. No Profile Picture

Dont feel bad it happened to me i had to buy a new computer.
  15. No Profile Picture

I just bought the is7-e and did and mobo swap from a asus p4pe. After swapping the board and connecting all the hardware I got the same problem of "all the lights were one but nobody home". I didn't even get an error beep. After trying different processors and RAM sticks and also different PS units I figured it had to be the motherboard. I decided to look at the board a bit closer instead of waiting the couple of weeks for an RMA.
    What I found was an IC located to the left of the northbridge that had "cold solder" joints, ie. the solder was cracked. I found this on my initial check of checking all IC's for movement with plastic tweezers. When I got to this particular IC, I barely nudged it with the tweezers and it fell off of the board.
    The IC is labeled 1R0 and is located just left of the northbridge. I resoldered it and after reconnecting all the hardware, it booted up without a problem.

btw - this mobo was NIB from Mwave and not a refurb. It may have been damaged in shipping but I doubt it. Looked to me like a whomever installed the Northbridge fan at the factory used a tool that knocked the solder off of that chip loose.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo