1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to change the PCI Slot?

Hi Folks,

Got this MSI 945GCM5; 7267 ver 5, Mobo.
    Since I bought it from my friend one of the PCI slots seems to be be in loose condition; putting my Sound card does not firmly fit into the slot resulting in non detection of the card by XP. it takes 1 hour sometimes to fit the card into the slot where the card could get detected by Windows. Pins inside are ok. my observation is the pins inside has loosened a bit and now the card tilts even with a slight touch.

Anyone suggests a PCI Slot replacement? How to do that? using a Air solder? Do PCI slots have any polarity issues like Capacitors?
  3. No Profile Picture

Email the manufacturer, and I'm sure they'll have some solutions for you. Don't try anything too risky or you might void the warranty.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ComputeNext
    Email the manufacturer, and I'm sure they'll have some solutions for you. Don't try anything too risky or you might void the warranty.
    its a Refurbished Mobo.
    No Warranty, I bought this Creative Xfi Go USB Soundcard and things are fine now. Not using any PCI card.
  7. No Profile Picture

Even though the OP has a solution, for future reference I believe it's worth a post.

For all the effort of changing the physical surround of the PCI slot, it's really not worth it. You would have to unsolder the whole slot and resolder in a new one. I don't know that it would have been *that* loose that it was loosing electrical connection, certainly the first time I've ever heard of it happening.

Much more likely is a fault in the southbridge or a problem with the bios.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by greywolfau
    Even though the OP has a solution, for future reference I believe it's worth a post.

For all the effort of changing the physical surround of the PCI slot, it's really not worth it. You would have to unsolder the whole slot and resolder in a new one. I don't know that it would have been *that* loose that it was loosing electrical connection, certainly the first time I've ever heard of it happening.

Much more likely is a fault in the southbridge or a problem with the bios.

Hmm, I grounded the idea of changing the PCI slot and got a New USB Creative Sound Card.

Thanks everyone.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ComputeNext
    Lol i agree with you It would be affect on warranty.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo