Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Changing the boot sequence on an IBM NETVISTA computer

So I need to change the boot order on this IBM NETVISTA (2257-82u) computer on my workbench here at work. I can get into the "System Configuration Utility" which at this point I am assuming that it is the BIOS. But there is nothing close to letting me change the boot sequence.

A little bit of history into why i need to change the boot sequence. I have just updated the BIOS (shouldn't have caused the problem) and put a new hard drive in... Since ther are multiple hard drive floating around this department i am positive this one had a previous OS installed. When the computer boots up it looks like it is going to boot into win2k...once it looks like it is ready to go right into the OS the computer restarts...leading me to belive that windows is having a fit.

the IBM website has absolutley nothing and searching googles brings me nowhere so any help would be awsome...

thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

(^^;?( The recent bios has to have Boot Sequence Option, But if you say "not")

There's no way except changing the IDE connection order(or SCSI id ).

Then also you may adopt some boot-loader such as MBM and the like.

And from somewhere you luckily booted, you can edit boot.ini to match the boot-situation and copy necessary files.

Have you searched completely?
  5. No Profile Picture

i have searched throughly...spent a good hour (not kiding) looking for the boot sequence.. hence why i posted here askin for help. I will try the cables cause that thought has eluded me. let you know if it works or not!
  7. No Profile Picture

I am having exactly the same difficulty with a NetVista 2670-T5U. It boots into Windows 2000 to a point and then reboots. Last known good config does exactly the same thing. Safe mode does the same thing.

So I put in a boot diskette, but it is ignored.
    So I put in a boot CD, but it is ignored.

And in spite of so many people and thier really useless advice on so many forums... THERE REALLY IS NO OPTION TO CHANGE THE BOOT SEQUENCE.

This isn't just because the user is too stupid to find it. It really is not there.

Is there anyone who BELIEVES that this problem exists and HAS A SOLUTION?

(sorry, on so many forums this problem is brought up and the answer always seems to imply that it is user error.)
  9. No Profile Picture

boot order can NOT be changed - soooo true!

frozenjim,

I am having the same problem with this computer. I have even tried to ghost the machine and still not luck. I am so stuck on this problem. Please let me know if you find some way of resolving this issue.

Originally Posted by frozenJim
    I am having exactly the same difficulty with a NetVista 2670-T5U. It boots into Windows 2000 to a point and then reboots. Last known good config does exactly the same thing. Safe mode does the same thing.

And in spite of so many people and thier really useless advice on so many forums... THERE REALLY IS NO OPTION TO CHANGE THE BOOT SEQUENCE.

This isn't just because the user is too stupid to find it. It really is not there.

(sorry, on so many forums this problem is brought up and the answer always seems to imply that it is user error.)
  11. No Profile Picture

IBM Netvista: Change Boot Sequence

Check out the following website:

http://www.bc.edu/offices/help/meta-...recoverycd.pdf

Step 1 worked for me although I needed to hit Enter at the initial startup screen to interrupt normal startup before hitting F1 to enter setup.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by frozenJim

13. No Profile Picture

Changing NetVista Boot Sequence

I recently encountered a similar problem in trying to install a new hard drive after the stock hard drive crashed on my father-in-law's Netvista. I went around and around looking for the option to change the boot sequence. I believe I found the solution. The option actually DOES exist on the start up menu (at least on whatever model I was working on), it is just a poor interface. From what I recall, the problem is that the menu option (with a tiny white "bullet") appears to be a title/heading, and not a selectable/editable option. It is set apart (and above) from the other options on the same screen, like a menu title/heading. If you <enter> on the "heading", it opens up to an embedded menu allowing you to change the boot sequence.

Good luck. I hope this helps; albeit a little late for you folks. I came across this msg board when trying to solve my problem, and thought I would register and post my solution.

BTW, gotta love the guy who thought up the idea of a vertical bay drive. IBM Innovation.
  15. No Profile Picture

Smile IBM Netvista: Change Boot Sequence

Thank you for this last tip! It works but definitely not obvious. Putting together info from previous replies:

1) Shut down the operating system and turn off your computer.
    2) Press and hold down the F1 key, and then turn on the computer.
    3) When an IBM or other logo is displayed or if you hear repeating beeps, release the F1 key. The IBM BIOS Setup Utility will start.
    4) Select "Start Options" from the first menu.
    5) From the Start Options menu, press <Enter> on the top bullet labeled "Startup Sequence" (it is above all the other options). This brings up a new "Startup Sequence" menu.
    6) Change boot order as needed using arrow keys.

I joined this forum just to provide this reply and to thank all of you for saving me countless hours trying to figure it out! Cheers.
  17. No Profile Picture

IBM NetVista Boot from CD... CHange Boot Sequence

I have been trying to change the boot sequence on an IBM NetVista and got a detailed fine response here... Thanks it worked.

Now what I want to do it to reinstall WINDOWS from scratch. The PC cannot boot from the Windows installation CD. What I got from the CD information is that when I restart the PC, I must respond promptly when asked to boot from CD (Say by pressing any key .e.g space bar), BUT the PC do not give me that option, every time it boot back in the original Windows XP that I want to change. (Obviously it bypass the CD). How do I get that prompt (to let me pres a key to boot from CD). I tried to set it so it boot on CD only, but it says it cannot find an operating system (with a funny black screen looking like a table ... spreadsheet)

I hope my question is clear. I am not too technical, so a clear explanation will be much better for me.
  19. No Profile Picture

NETVISTA boot sequence

Wow! Thanks so much for pointing this out. Definitely not obvious and definitely poor interface design. You'd think they'd put a little <Press Enter> or something there to better direct you. Anyway, after an hour or so and trying different config/cable and drive options, you've saved me from pulling my hair out.

Originally Posted by Netvista Novice
    I recently encountered a similar problem in trying to install a new hard drive after the stock hard drive crashed on my father-in-law's Netvista. I went around and around looking for the option to change the boot sequence. I believe I found the solution. The option actually DOES exist on the start up menu (at least on whatever model I was working on), it is just a poor interface. From what I recall, the problem is that the menu option (with a tiny white "bullet") appears to be a title/heading, and not a selectable/editable option. It is set apart (and above) from the other options on the same screen, like a menu title/heading. If you <enter> on the "heading", it opens up to an embedded menu allowing you to change the boot sequence.

Good luck. I hope this helps; albeit a little late for you folks. I came across this msg board when trying to solve my problem, and thought I would register and post my solution.

BTW, gotta love the guy who thought up the idea of a vertical bay drive. IBM Innovation.
  21. No Profile Picture

Changing Boot Sequence in IBM Netvista

Hi there! For what its worth (given that the thread is pretty old), I would like to settle this issue for good. All of the above solutions are good and will MOSTLY work. One thing did not get mentioned up there and that could be probably stopping a lot of people from succeeding in changing the boot sequence. It is the jumper setting or the cable selection issue on your CD Drive. From all I have seen in IBM Netvista systems, the CD drive mostly is a slave. Change the jumper or the cable back to making it a secondary master. Now when you boot up, the POST will tell you that configuration has changed and it will prompt you to change it. Just don't act on it. It will automatically will give you the standard prompt for booting from the CD ("Press any key to boot from CD..."). I've noticed that a lot of our mates were not able to get this prompt even after they changed the first boot device to CD Drive. Try this and I'm sure you'll be on your way!!!! Cheers!
  23. No Profile Picture

Thanks for solving my problem, too.

sorry for top-posting:
    Thanks hannan123. That was exactly my grief and you've solved it. This is only the second time i've worked on a "netvista". I have an idea why some business corporations make it so difficult to technically handle a personal pc.
    But with your "summed up" post, I achieved greatness in the eyes of the customer. HUZZAH!! I shall now repair to the "lower decks" for refreshments.
    Thanks again.

Originally Posted by hannan123
    Hi there! For what its worth (given that the thread is pretty old), I would like to settle this issue for good. All of the above solutions are good and will MOSTLY work. One thing did not get mentioned up there and that could be probably stopping a lot of people from succeeding in changing the boot sequence. It is the jumper setting or the cable selection issue on your CD Drive. From all I have seen in IBM Netvista systems, the CD drive mostly is a slave. Change the jumper or the cable back to making it a secondary master. Now when you boot up, the POST will tell you that configuration has changed and it will prompt you to change it. Just don't act on it. It will automatically will give you the standard prompt for booting from the CD ("Press any key to boot from CD..."). I've noticed that a lot of our mates were not able to get this prompt even after they changed the first boot device to CD Drive. Try this and I'm sure you'll be on your way!!!! Cheers!
  25. No Profile Picture

This works for and IBM X460 also

Thanks for this post. I've been trying to change the boot sequence on an IBM X460 for months. Having to use F12 to select a boot source has long lost it's novelty appeal!

As somebody has already said, the process is not exactly obvious. But on the other hand, I've yet to find anything logical, obvious or straightforward when IBM is mentioned somewhere in the sentence.
  27. No Profile Picture

just!

thanks to this forum.i learned a lot...and i hope it work!
  29. No Profile Picture

Changing Boot Sequence to Netvista 6380/6830

Originally Posted by rhod087
    thanks to this forum.i learned a lot...and i hope it work!
    Boot up PC
    Press F1 to enter BIOS screen
    Press Enter on Startup Options
    Press Enter on Startup Sequence

That's it!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo