1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New comp, no beep, no boot

Hi,

So Ive recently built my computer but as of yet I cannot get into the bios. On the monitor I get the error, no signal detected.

For ease of trouble shooting I have striped my system down to this:
    Asus Motherboard M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI
    AMD2+ quad core. 2.8Ghz
    4 gig ram (2*2 Sticks DDR2)
    3 HDD, WD 160 gig each, sata
    1 DVD drive, sata

My case didnt have a speaker so I took a speaker off another computer and installed it.
    When I power up I get all case fans (plugged into molex), HDD, DVD and CPU fan all come on. I though maybe the CPU wasnt getting power but I cant see if/where I would need to plug the power on for the CPU, I am assuming to comes off the MB power.

I can hear the HDD start up and I can open/close the dvd drive.

Being this the case I think my issue is todo with the CPU but idk so any help would be nice
  3. No Profile Picture

So I kind of solved my problem. I checked my cables and forgot the 8pin power to the MB

I then dc'ed one of the HDD. This let me into the bios. I reconced the HDD, no luck. Removed it and couldnt get back in.

I doubt power is a issue as I have 1000watt PSU (Antec).

Any ideas
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

remove the drives and see if it posts...
    if it posts...then add the drives one at a time...
  7. No Profile Picture

Drivers?, I havnt even installed the OS yet
  9. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Lt.Shinta
    Drivers?, I havnt even installed the OS yet
    Drives.. not drivers...

In other words, disconnect hard drive(s), cd/dvd drive(s), floppy drive, if you have one...

Then turn it on and see if it posts
  11. No Profile Picture

So i disconected all drives (3 HDD and 1 dvd) both from motherboard and sata connections, no luck.

-Took ram out and the mobo gave me the beep code for no memoery found.

Replaced memory and removed battery on mobo for 3 mins (with power dissconnected). Still same thing.

Can I assume my CPU is okay if I have got into the bios at least one?

I am thinking possible either memeory or power issue
  13. No Profile Picture

Okay I solved this issue. Just posting back so others could use this as a reference if in the same issue.

So I knew it was either my motherboard, CPU or PSU. I was pretty sure it was not my CPU as I had already got into the bios once which means that it should be operating fine.

The other issue it could be was the PSU. Now I know the mobo and other rails were working correctly as I could hear the HDD and see MOBO lights. If this was the case it would be that the CPU wasnt getting power.

I rung the computer shop which I purchased all my parts (PLE) and they advised me that if I bring in my MB as well as the other things such as CPU and PSU they could test it there and then.

I took these parts into the shop and they advised me it would cost a $49 fee to find the fault I was not happy and I was fairly sure it was MB as that is where the BIOS is located.
    I reluctantly agreed to this as I was in rush and had to get to work (work for a ISP).

I rung the comp shop and got the same answer (testing free there and then). I requested this in writing and was declined. After escalating the issue I asked for them to cancel the job and just look at the mobo as that was more than likly the problem.

15 mins later I rung back and the issue was resolved. The mobo I was using needed a bios update in order to work with my quad core cpu.

I am happy by this resolution as it was nothing tarded on my end and tbh the only way I could update the BIOS was with another CPU.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo