1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Comp WILL NOT boot up (no beeps or vid output)

My computer had been giving me problems such as freezing up/locking up randomly. after it would do this it would not boot up sometimes. the problem got worse and I replaced my PSU because i noticed that on the the yellow wires on the 4pin CPU MOBO connector had a darkened pin. i replaced the PSU and it still would not boot. I then took EVERYTHING out of the case, then put it all back in and the computer booted right up and worked fine for about a week with no problems. one night it just froze again, and i tried restarting and it booted then gave me a blue screen and it said that something to do with the video output was stuck in and open loop and had caused the computer to do that. it also said something on the blue screen about atixevv or something along those lines. a day or so before this happened i installed the most current driver for my RAD 9550 256DDR card(because counter strike said i was running and outdated driver version). then a day later it froze like I said up there. I have tried taking everything back out and putting it all back in and still nothing. now its back to the powering up stage with fans and HDD's/cd drives(no beeps), but it wont go any farther. I have tried pulling each ram stick and trying them separate and still nothing. i even tried putting my old MX4000 in there and it still wont go any farther. the power light and HDD light just stay on constant. tell me what you think
    Last edited by crazy_s_dime; August 6th, 2007 at 05:50 PM. Reason: grammar
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

...CPU MOBO connector had a darkened pin...
    based on the above snippet...I would guess you are going to need a new mobo/cpu...but just a guess...

good luck
  5. No Profile Picture

thats what i was wondering, but since i bought the new PSU it worked flawlessly for a week or so then froze. and i'm really not in the mood to dump some cash on a CPU/MOBO, but thanks, anybody else? i tried searching but i only found similar issues but different
  7. No Profile Picture

Inspiron 5100 laptop will not boot up

My Inspiron 5100 will not boot or post up.

1. Power light comes on and stays on
    2. fan comes on for 30 seconds then goes off
    3. Dvd light comes on and dvd spins
    4. Battery charges
    5. No beeps no video
    6. Swapped out hard drive, memory, reseated cpu
    7. Same results using power cord or battery
  9. No Profile Picture

ok well, i have gotten somewhere, I was somehow able to get it to post, and it kept saying "CMOS/Checksum bad" or "CMOS wrong" i was able to get it to post about 9 or 10 times and now its back to not doing anything again, i tried swapping ram in and out and "Wiggling" hardware. I honestly think that some of the solder conections have shorted out and thats why sometimes after i mess with it for a while it will post again. I think I am going to buy a single core 3.0 P4(cedar mill) CPU and a new MSI MOBO that has a 775 socket instead of my outdated 478. I Can get both on newegg for ab out 140 shipped, not a bad deal, im not in to dual core or the price they come at so a single 3.0 should fit my budget.
    heres what i am looking at:
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Bayawan
    My Inspiron 5100 will not boot or post up.

1. Power light comes on and stays on
    2. fan comes on for 30 seconds then goes off
    3. Dvd light comes on and dvd spins
    4. Battery charges
    5. No beeps no video
    6. Swapped out hard drive, memory, reseated cpu
    7. Same results using power cord or battery
    Speaking from experience with this model, i'd suggest the following:

FIRST REMOVE ADAPTER CABLE & BATTERY, THEN PRESS POWER BUTTON FOR 10SECS TO DISSIPATE ANY CURRENT!!

1. Strip your machine enough to gain access to the CPU & Cooler area.

2. Remove any access dust & debris.

3. Remove CPU cooler by undoing the 4 mounting screws.

4. Clean CPU top face with alcohol (preferably remove CPU first, but be carefull the pins are fragile)

5. Clean brass area on cooler with alcohol.

6. Apply new thermal paste to to CPU (after re-fitting)

7 Re-fit CPU.

8. Re-assemble machine.

It SHOULD now boot up! If it does. it is advised to load Windows XP and upgrade BIOS to version A31. (most stable)
  13. They're coming to take me away

I'd imagine after 8 months, the OP has either figured it out or purchased new parts or computer. Probably the latter as he mentioned at that time that he was going to purchase a new mobo and processor.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo