Thread: Control card

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Control card

Our unix server failed to restart after we did a monthly "hard shutdown". We replaced the control card in the motherboard with a card from another machine. The system would then pull up but we could not access any information. I need to find this SCSI board. Apparently, I HAVE to have this one.

We are running 13 year old software on our Unix Server. Our software provider (who also wants to sell us a complete new system) said we needed the exact card for the system to work .

The motherboard is an ASUS P2L97

The card information is : ICP vortex GDT6117RP

Any help is appreciated
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Ouch, unfortunately your software vendor is probably correct. One of the major disadvantages of hardware RAID is that your array is usually tied to the specific hardware of the RAID controller. In essence, the controller becomes a single point of failure for the array. Unlike a disk drive though, you can replace a controller without losing data, provided you can find an identical controller.

That's why it's usually a really good idea to buy at least one spare controller and just store it. In fact, if you're able to find a replacement GDT6117RP, I recommend buying two so that you have one spare if possible.

It might also be a pretty good idea to start looking into upgrade or replacement options, given that hardware for your machine is only going to get harder and harder to replace as time goes on.

Looks like there might be one for sale on ebay here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADAPTEC-GD...-/300448667329

ebay is honestly probably your best bet. You would be hard pressed to find a store that actually stocks a card that old, and I'm certain that they haven't manufactured those cards in ages.

Why do you have a scheduled hard shutdown?
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the information and link. We knew that we were going to have to update soon. I'm just trying to get this system up until I can decide if we are staying with this software or going to another system.
    Our software vendor recommended that we do a hard shutdown every couple of months.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the post.It clears lots of doubt RAID controller.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo