#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Custom built rig not booting or beeping


    hello all here is my problem:
    I just bought new: Mobo+Cpu+vga+RAM+Psupply+(IDE) HDD, But the issue is i cannot seem to get the Rig as a whole to start up, beep, or display anything whatsoever. If i remove the RAM it wont beep, If i remove the RAM and VGA it wont beep, If i remove just the VGA it wont beep, i got it to beep only ONCE when i took off all HDD connections and RAM out but then tried again and had no beeps. Basically this is my third Mobo in the last three days cause the other two were defective, but i'm not sure which is the problem with this particular case.

    EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Mainboard
    Asus 8800 gt top 512mb
    Patriot RAM 4gb (2 by 2gb)
    Corsair 750watt Psupply
    E8800 Intel CPU
    IDE Segate 500gb HDD

    This has been driving me mad (to put it lightly) the last few days and I'm about ready to buy a pre-built rig from best buy. Anyone have any brilliant ideas that could help me outa this hell hole?
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    337
    Originally Posted by HatingLyfe
    hello all here is my problem:
    I just bought new: Mobo+Cpu+vga+RAM+Psupply+(IDE) HDD, But the issue is i cannot seem to get the Rig as a whole to start up, beep, or display anything whatsoever. If i remove the RAM it wont beep, If i remove the RAM and VGA it wont beep, If i remove just the VGA it wont beep, i got it to beep only ONCE when i took off all HDD connections and RAM out but then tried again and had no beeps. Basically this is my third Mobo in the last three days cause the other two were defective, but i'm not sure which is the problem with this particular case.
    Make sure you have the correct connections from your PSU. This board requires both the 24-Pin ATX connector and the 8-Pin 12V connector to operate. You should also double check to make sure that you only have motherboard spacers in holes that you can screw to. Some cases have more holes for spacers than their motherboard will need, and you can accidentally short parts of your board if a metal spacer is pushing against something it's not supposed to.

    Your motherboard has a pair of seven segment LEDs on it that will update POST codes if your board begins its start up process. This is labeled "Diagnostic Code Display" in the EVGA manual. The error codes (and not just start up testing) can be seen on Pg 103 (114 in the *.pdf) in the manual.

    Disconnect everything but the PSU, GPU, RAM, and CPU from the board. Connect keyboard/mouse and monitor, and start it up. Do the codes start cycling, and if so, what code does the display halt at?
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    okay, well obviously im missing something.... Only My PSU+CPU+GPU+RAM are connected and i start it up and Nothing shows on the screen whatsoever, and im still not gettin any beeps... On the bright side i have an antec 900 which supposedly doesn't short out anything because of the hole aluminum thing... oh right and its not that im getting a black screen.. my monitor just doesn't get any signal from the GPU at all... Also im testing two cards thinking that might have been the problem... a 8800gt top and a Sapphire 4890.. neither show any recognition from my monitor....
    any other thoughts??? <3 help me
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh yeah and the boot light thingys are staying @ FF which looking it up shows. BOOT. Thats it...
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    337
    Originally Posted by HatingLyfe
    okay, well obviously im missing something.... Only My PSU+CPU+GPU+RAM are connected and i start it up and Nothing shows on the screen whatsoever, and im still not gettin any beeps... On the bright side i have an antec 900 which supposedly doesn't short out anything because of the hole aluminum thing... oh right and its not that im getting a black screen.. my monitor just doesn't get any signal from the GPU at all... Also im testing two cards thinking that might have been the problem... a 8800gt top and a Sapphire 4890.. neither show any recognition from my monitor....
    any other thoughts??? <3 help me
    What "hole aluminum thingy" are you referring to?

    Oh yeah and the boot light thingys are staying @ FF which looking it up shows. BOOT. Thats it...
    Is this what your printed documentation says? EVGA's online manual for the 790i Ultra SLI show two different meanings for 0FFh, and neither of these are shown as "BOOT".

    FFh on the 790i SLI can mean the end of a startup table or it can be the error signifying an invalid APIC ID. Double check your processor itself. Make sure none of the pins were bent, that you've oriented the processor correctly in its socket, and that the heatsink is properly seated and locked down.

    When you were testing the two cards, did you remember to actually connect the extra power supply connector to it? The 8800GT, iirc, requires an extra six pin connector. The 4890 should require two. Neither card would get sufficient current from the PCI Express bus itself, so these connectors are necessary.
    Last edited by Beleaguered; April 26th, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    So after dissecting an older rig (my brothers currently working computer) i was able to narrow down that the CPU and GPU both work. My main concern now is whether or not the mobo is defective, because i went to frys this afternoon and got a mobo replaced and the replaced mobo was tested in front of me and it too was fried (That was a P5Q) So i Went with the EVGA and as for the Power supply being connected properly i am sure that i connected the 6-pin power to the 4890 twice and the 8800gt once... Last thing was beeps... when i heard the BEEP it wasn't a beep beep (multiples...) it was a single long beeeeeeep. I'm starting to think that it may also be the RAM simply cause i dont suspect it therefor its going to bite me in the ***....
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    337
    Originally Posted by HatingLyfe
    So after dissecting an older rig (my brothers currently working computer) i was able to narrow down that the CPU and GPU both work. My main concern now is whether or not the mobo is defective, because i went to frys this afternoon and got a mobo replaced and the replaced mobo was tested in front of me and it too was fried (That was a P5Q) So i Went with the EVGA and as for the Power supply being connected properly i am sure that i connected the 6-pin power to the 4890 twice and the 8800gt once... Last thing was beeps... when i heard the BEEP it wasn't a beep beep (multiples...) it was a single long beeeeeeep. I'm starting to think that it may also be the RAM simply cause i dont suspect it therefor its going to bite me in the ***....
    If you can have them test components in front of you, take advantage of it.

    Few things I'd definitely point out though:

    Newer motherboards, especially higher end ones, typically won't use a series of beeps to identify an error. It's either "Hey I'm starting up" or "Hey I have an error. Look at the LEDs to find out what the problem is" Rely on those diagnostic LEDs. When you get a motherboard, take the time to read up on it. Times change, and the manual is a great place to find out what sort of troubleshooting system a board offers.

    Can you try your ram in his machine or his ram in yours? Some motherboards just don't get along with certain brands/speeds of ram. EVGA has a memory compatibility listing for their boards. While other modules may work, they test a pretty broad range of brands/series/speeds. Patriot is not on that list.

    I'm still curious about the "hole aluminum thingy" that an Antec 900 would offer you mentioned.
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    OKay, in which case im a blithering idiot, and the salesguy @ frys is a liarpants.. Because im running those patriot Viper Ram or whatever at his suggestion(That clown said he has this exact combo)... in terms of the ANtec 900 The case is aluminum and therefore doesn't carry electric currents and cannot pass them through my board shorting anything.... correct?... So Would you recomend that the RAM needs replacing?? Or should I still keep the possibility of the mobo in mind?? P.s. Does a DDR2 Run in the DDr3 Slot cause then i have an ez fix...
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    337
    Originally Posted by HatingLyfe
    OKay, in which case im a blithering idiot, and the salesguy @ frys is a liarpants.. Because im running those patriot Viper Ram or whatever at his suggestion(That clown said he has this exact combo)...
    He may very well be running the Patriot memory. EVGA can't test every possible combination of their board + RAM, so the compatibility lists are merely a nice reference. Also keep in mind that "I have that at home" or "I run that exact same combo" is a great way for a salesperson to convince a shopper.

    in terms of the ANtec 900 The case is aluminum and therefore doesn't carry electric currents and cannot pass them through my board shorting anything.... correct?...
    Holy crap. Please shoot whoever thought of teaching you that. Aluminum is conductive.

    So Would you recomend that the RAM needs replacing?? Or should I still keep the possibility of the mobo in mind?? P.s. Does a DDR2 Run in the DDr3 Slot cause then i have an ez fix...
    AFAIK, DDR3 is not backwards compatible. You can't use DDR2 in a DDR3 slot.

    I went and looked a bit further, and while memory compatibility lists aren't typically "the final word" on what memory is supported, CPU compatibility lists are.

    http://www.nvidia.com/content/nforce700i/nForce_Intel_CPU_List.pdf
    http://www.evga.com/support/motherboard/

    Would you mind telling me where the E8800 is on either of those?

    I'm not sure how the hell I missed it. I blame a combination of not paying enough attention and way too many meds (Narcolepsy drugs really suck) these days, but I don't recall Intel even having an E8800. Their site shows the E8600 as being the latest E8x00 chip.

    Are you sure you have an E8800?
    Last edited by Beleaguered; April 27th, 2009 at 12:01 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo