1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dell dimension 2400 w/XP stays in power save mode

I see a green light on the mobo when the machine is plugged in. When PC is turned on, I get no beeps at all, and the diagnostic lights remain dark. The CPU fan does run, the power light on the front is green, the hard drive activity light is amber, The monitor displays a message about being in the power save mode, and to press any key or move the mouse. Of course, nothing happens when I do that. I have hooked it up to another monitor, which acts like it has not been connected to a PC (Check Video Cable or Input Select).

PC does not have a seperate video card - monitor plug-in is integrated into the mobo.
  3. No Profile Picture

I am SOOOO... glad I discovered this forum...

Waiting about 4 days from the time I registered until I finally got the approval email is exactly the kind of support one finds all too seldom in this rush, rush, I need an answer-as-soon-as-possible world we live in. The languid, we'll get-to-it-when-we-have-time attitude can be so refreshing...

And when I finally get that cherished approval, going 3 and a half days without a reply is a sure sign that this a wonderful forum - people are just carefully weighing their responses. Much better than when someone joins a forum where you get lightning quick responses - have those posters REALLY carefully thought out their replies?

Thanks to all who have made this forum what it is... and a Merry Christmas to everyone else.

Comments on this post

• jzd disagrees : Sorry, but this is a busy time of year. I can't schedule my vacation time around your problems.
  5. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Carefully thought out reply ==> I'm guessing that the machine reaches POST ? Have you tried clearing the CMOS ?

Has it been almost 4 days since I was last here, wow.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by aitken325i
    Carefully thought out reply ==> I'm guessing that the machine reaches POST ? Have you tried clearing the CMOS ?
    Removed the CMOS battery. No effect.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by boweasel
    jzd disagrees: Sorry, but this is a busy time of year. I can't schedule my vacation time around your problems.
    Most forums have some sort of automatic activation process... A person enters his email address, picks a user name and password, and types in some validation code. Ten minutes later he gets an email containing an activation link.

If you have ONE person who has to manually read and respond to every registration request by hand..... makes me hope your PC doesn't stop working when the gerbils get tired.
  11. Providing fuel for space ships

Not sure about the activation process, it used to be pretty instant. I'll highlight this with the Admins to look into it.

Can you get into the BIOS ok and see the options ? The hard drive activity light is on, but can you hear it spinning ?

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  13. No Profile Picture

Not sure about the activation process, it used to be pretty instant. I'll highlight this with the Admins to look into it.
    Sounds like a good idea... I waited (I think) from the 11th, when I registered, until the 16th when I finally got the activation email. I have actually already given the PC in question back to the owners - I had hoped for some answers from this forum, but after 9 days of having their PC clog up my den I returned it, and sold them a perfectly servicable Dell 2350 tower for 50 bucks.

Can you get into the BIOS ok and see the options ? The hard drive activity light is on, but can you hear it spinning ?
    Nope, I couldn't even get into the BIOS. As I said the monitor showed absolutely no sign that it was even connected to a PC. However, I could hear hard drive activity, although it was not the healthiest sound I've ever heard...
  15. Providing fuel for space ships

Does sound like the on-board video might have been on it's way out. Although, as you've managed to sell an old machine you had lying around, sounds like you've scored out of it.

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo