1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Dell Inspiron 5150 motherboard problem

Hi all, Right....., here we go! I have this Inspiron 5150 which at present is just displaying a flashing curser in the top-left hand corner of the screen. It does not complete POST before doing this. This happens even though i've done the following already:

1. Replaced mainboard (original board displayed same fault)
    2. Replaced Graphics Card
    3. Replaced CPU*
    4. Replaced Battery
    5. Replaced Mains Adaptor
    6. Tested & replaced RAM
    7. Removed WIFI & modem cards

& swapped out Hard Disk

What else is there left!!?

The really strange thing about this is that if i a P4 2.8 HT CPU (with 1mb L2 cache) from my 5160 this machine WILL BOOT! It stops at post screen with the error '*** Processor Microcode Update Failiure *** Press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup' but on pressing F1 will boot into Windows. Once booted into Windows it continues to run without any problems at all!

I'm guessing that the post error is caused by the BIOS not supporting the 1mb L2 cache of this CPU. This being the case, why does it still boot up as it doesn't get even this far with original or other 512kb L2 CPU? For the records, both of the 512kb L2 CPUs have been tested in my 5160 & work perfectly!

Any help with this would be most appreciated......,
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by enigma101
    Hi all, Right....., here we go! I have this Inspiron 5150 which at present is just displaying a flashing curser in the top-left hand corner of the screen. It does not complete POST before doing this. This happens even though i've done the following already:

1. Replaced mainboard (original board displayed same fault)
    2. Replaced Graphics Card
    3. Replaced CPU*
    4. Replaced Battery
    5. Replaced Mains Adaptor
    6. Tested & replaced RAM
    7. Removed WIFI & modem cards

& swapped out Hard Disk

What else is there left!!?

The really strange thing about this is that if i fit a P4 2.8 HT CPU (with 1mb L2 cache) from my 5160 this machine WILL BOOT! It stops at post screen with the error '*** Processor Microcode Update Failiure *** Press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup' but on pressing F1 will boot into Windows. Once booted into Windows it continues to run without any problems at all!

I'm guessing that the post error is caused by the BIOS not supporting the 1mb L2 cache of this CPU. This being the case, why does it still boot up as it doesn't get even this far with original or other 512kb L2 CPU? For the records, both of the 512kb L2 CPUs have been tested in my 5160 & work perfectly!

Any help with this would be most appreciated......,

C'mon 'cdsinfo'......, i thought you where good at this stuff!?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

did you check the manual for the mobo to see if the CPU voltage has jumper settings?
  7. No Profile Picture

It doesn't mention any jumpers in the Service Manual, so i can only assume they do not exist.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi,

No answers here, but I am having the exact same issues. Amazing that I could have written your post myself. Every word applies to my case.

Have you come across any solutions?

Thanks.

Dave
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by TrinityPCDave
    Hi,

No answers here, but I am having the exact same issues. Amazing that I could have written your post myself. Every word applies to my case.

Have you come across any solutions?

Thanks.

Dave
    Hi,

Not really sorry Dave! The only usefull advice i can give is to check the 'straightness' of your bottom plastics. The reason being that overheating of the CPU mounting point can not only affect the mainboard, but also warp the plastic case. This will cause any replacement mainboard (once fixed into place) to flex at this mounting point & display the same errors as the original! You can check for warping of the case by placing a staight edge on the underside of the case, opposite the CPU mount & rotating it in this area.

I've also been advised that a Pentium 4 2.4ghz CPU may work ok & not display this fault, but please be advised that i have not tried this myself.

Good luck with your machine,
  13. No Profile Picture

Dell Inspiron 5150 wows

Apologies, my post was repeated due to connection problems so i've replaced it with this message.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo