1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to determine Power Supply needs?

I'm planning on building a new Quad core PC (socket 775), 3.ghz, 1333fsb, 4gb RAM, geForce 8800, 1 HD, 1 DVD. The video card says it needs 400 watts, but I can't find anything to show what the mobo needs... how do I determine the max wattage I'll need? Cost is a factor, but I also want to do it right. I have a new 500 watt. Will that do it?
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by cptcrusty1
    I'm planning on building a new Quad core PC (socket 775), 3.ghz, 1333fsb, 4gb RAM, geForce 8800, 1 HD, 1 DVD. The video card says it needs 400 watts, but I can't find anything to show what the mobo needs... how do I determine the max wattage I'll need? Cost is a factor, but I also want to do it right. I have a new 500 watt. Will that do it?
    Welcome to Dev Shed.

If you're planning on running in SLI, I would go higher than 500 as 500 is the minimum for SLI.

Otherwise, 500 should be fine...

I'm running 2 of the same graphic cards in SLI, 4 HD's, 2 GB RAM, 2 DVD Burners, Sound Blaster Fatality, plus some other things I can't think of right now, and I have a 560 watt PSU.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

The video card needs 400, the CPU needs 75 to 125, depending on the exact details. Fans need power. Disks need power. Assorted minor stuff like north and south side systems need power.

I could be wrong, but this seems to add up to more than 500
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

well just a good psu calculator .For me your rig is ok if you have a branded power supply and if you don't want to overclock it.

Comments on this post

• fishtoprecords agrees : nice link

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo