1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Gigabyte GA-7ZMMH CPU jumper problem

I have already burned up one AthlonXp 1600+ chip in a new Gigabyte GA-7ZMMH mobo, and I cannot tell why. I know the Heatsink is working propoerly and I know powersupply is ok as well (both were in another computer prior to this event). This leads me to believe that the problem is in the settings of 2 jumpers JP10 and SW1 (actually a switch, not a jumper).
    I have ordered an AthlonXp 2000+ to replace the 1600+ I burned up. NOt wanting to repeat the 'thermal event,' I contacted Gigabyte's online support, but the English in the reply was barely readable, so I do not want to take the chance that they misunderstood my problem.
    According to the manual for the mobo, JP10 controls the cpu clock frequency, and can be set at 100 or 133 mhz. Since the 2000+ is a 266mhz FSB chip, I set JP10 to 133. The switch SW1 is what is giving me problems. SW1 controls the system bus speed, and I have no idea what that might be. None of the other mobos I have used have allowed me to manually set this. The manual lists values from 95-145mhz as valid, but I do not know which one to choose. What is a normal system bus speed? Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
  3. No Profile Picture

RE: Gigabyte GA-7ZMMH CPU jumper problem

This MB is very picky about memory. Memory used must be pc 133 or pc 100, non parity, non ecc, unbuffered clock4, cas2. For 133 set dip switch to.
    1 (on) 2 (off) 3 (on) 4 (on), JP10 to 1-2. I have 3 of these boards and only a few of my memory modules will work.
    The wrong modules will cause it not to post. It will post after cmos clear but when restarted it will not post unless proper memory is used. Crucial memory modules work best.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...7ZMMH&submit=Go

Also this board has bios problems with identifying XP+ Cpus: Be sure to download from Gigabyte the bios f9 or f11b to correct.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I thinking that normal system bus speed should be the same as your FSB. But, as long as your FSB matches the rating on your CPU, you shouldn't have any "thermal events." Did you use thermal goo between your CPU and your heatsink?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo