1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Gigabyte motherboard won't boot

I have a GA-7IXE4 mobo that I replaced in April with an ASUS. I believed there was a fault with the ASUS mobo but it took me this long to convince ASUS and now this has been returned for replacement. Not wanting to be without the PC for the week or so before the replacement arrives, I re-installed my Gigabyte mobo and have met a boot problem.

Now I replaced the mobo because I suspected it may be going bad but never had any problems booting with it (the symptom I had was the system would hang when you accessed the root directory on the D: partition of the hard drive and unhang if you opened the CD drawer?????).

However I'm seeing a few problems with the board and have exhausted all the tests I can think of. The memory checks out on a friends machine, I have tried a different fan, the video card is OK on another machine, I have tried two floppy drives and both are good, reset the CMOS and tried a new CMOS battery. The only thing I cannot eliminate are the CPU and the mobo itself. At the moment the mobo is sitting on my desk out of the case with just memory, CPU, floppy and video attached. When I power up I get a single beep (it's an AMI BIOS) but the floppy light is on and it is doing a seek on it). When I insert a floppy, I start to get 2 beeps which goes back to one if I take the floppy out.

Other symptoms are: no VGA display, the beep codes I get are the same even if I remove the VGA and/or the keyboard. I am stuck for ideas and would be happy if anybody has any suggestions.

There were never any boot problems with the mobo before I replaced it and it has been sitting in an anti-static bag in its box since April.

Zaphodb
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

gigabyte mobo

Originally Posted by zaphodb
    I have a GA-7IXE4 mobo that I replaced in April with an ASUS. I believed there was a fault with the ASUS mobo but it took me this long to convince ASUS and now this has been returned for replacement. Not wanting to be without the PC for the week or so before the replacement arrives, I re-installed my Gigabyte mobo and have met a boot problem.

Now I replaced the mobo because I suspected it may be going bad but never had any problems booting with it (the symptom I had was the system would hang when you accessed the root directory on the D: partition of the hard drive and unhang if you opened the CD drawer?????).

However I'm seeing a few problems with the board and have exhausted all the tests I can think of. The memory checks out on a friends machine, I have tried a different fan, the video card is OK on another machine, I have tried two floppy drives and both are good, reset the CMOS and tried a new CMOS battery. The only thing I cannot eliminate are the CPU and the mobo itself. At the moment the mobo is sitting on my desk out of the case with just memory, CPU, floppy and video attached. When I power up I get a single beep (it's an AMI BIOS) but the floppy light is on and it is doing a seek on it). When I insert a floppy, I start to get 2 beeps which goes back to one if I take the floppy out.

Other symptoms are: no VGA display, the beep codes I get are the same even if I remove the VGA and/or the keyboard. I am stuck for ideas and would be happy if anybody has any suggestions.

There were never any boot problems with the mobo before I replaced it and it has been sitting in an anti-static bag in its box since April.

Zaphodb
    Hey dude, ive had similar problems with gigabyte motherboards. My problem resulted after i tried to update my bios with a corrupt file, my comp did exactly what yours did. Unplug your psu from your motherboard to ensure its not getting any power and unplug your mobo battery for at least 10 minutes and that should work. If not, make sure you have disconnected all power to the mobo, take out the mobo battery and use a wire to connect the - & + together on the battery socket.
    Cheers dude
    Flamos

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo