1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Intel PT Quad Port Server Adapter card intermittently not detected by BIOS

I am having a very tough time figuring out this issue. I have a Tyan S7025 motherboard with an Intel 5520 chipset, a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, 2 NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500's, and an Intel PT Quad Port Server Adapter. The issue I am having is that on average, between 10-20 boot-ups (NOT reboots, but fresh boot-ups) the PT NIC card will not be detected by the BIOS. So I immediately eliminated Windows out of the equation because this is happening at a lower level. I tried updating the BIOS to the latest version as recommended by the manufacturer. Then I tried all kinds of different BIOS options. None seemed to matter. Then I tried updating the NIC's firmware to the latest version. Still nothing. Then I tried turning the fan on the PC to the highest setting, thinking that maybe it's overheating. That didn't matter either. It seems like no matter what I do, the card will not boot once in a long while. And I know it's not the card b/c the issue is happening on a duplicate setup. Also, I know it's not the card because I placed the same card in another motherboard, booted it 50 times and never had any problems being detected. Also, I tried removing all video cards except for 1 video card (of different combinations) and even moving the NIC to different PCI-e slots on the motherboard. So is there anything else that I could try at this point? What is the issue here possibly?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

If the detection problem is intermittend, you should check the RAM. I've had a similar issue where hardware was intermittendly detected during boots and the problems originated from my RAM, even though I had not noticed any other performance issues or crashes prior to the problems.
    Quality European Web Hosting - LDHosting.com
    High Quality, Low Cost Web Hosting Services
    www.ldhosting.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo