1. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Motheboard not working - buy same brand or another

Hi all.

After a month i finally got a working graphic card in my system, just to find out there is also a problem with my motherboard

My current motherboard is a ga-x58a-ud7.
    The problem is that it start it BIOS and then shut down at different point in boot-up. (when checking the debug led).

I have thought about buying a new motherboard, but am unsure if i should by the same brand/model or maybe go for a ASUS or another brand

Will appreciate any recommendation of what to do.

Techwise, it will at least have to support following equipment
    Core i7 (prefer chipset X58)
    6GB triple ram
    eSata for external drive.
    and the usually 5+ USB for mouse, keyboard etc.

Overclocking is not a must.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Gigabyte is a pretty well known brand and they make pretty powerful boards, but I've had some reliability issues with them in the past on two different boards. I currently have an x58a-ud3r which suffers from an engineering defect in the audio headers, finicky USB controller and SATA controller failures leading to boot failures or hard crashes (although I have not ruled out the possibility that the SSD is the point of failure rather than the SATA controller). Fortunately none of these are annoying enough to make replacing the board worthwhile.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Exactly, these kind of boards is quite (too?) expensive.

Nice signature/quote you have, reminds me exactly of my problem. I have to turn on and off the computer three or four times before it will boot up correctly.

From what you say and my own experience, it sounds like I can expect problems if I go for a Gigabyte board again. I have had my board for only 1.5 year and the company I bought it from no longer exists, so using the RMA is not possible :S
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you bought the board new you might be able to RMA it directly through Gigabyte. You'd need to check and see whether it was still under warranty, but if it's only 1.5 years old it seems like it should still be under warranty.

You could just do what I do and never shut off the computer... that avoids the boot issues for the most part.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo