1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Motherboard not liking 800mhz ddr2

hi all, I have an MSI motherboard model MS-7253 using an AMD Athlon 64 3000+. It says it supports 800mhz ddr2 ram, and i have 2 512mb 800mhz ddr2 sticks of ram, i dont remember the brand, i think its Samsung, but im not sure.

Anyway the manual and bios says the MB supports 800mhz ddr2, but if i set it to 800mhz it automatically switches to 667mhz, if i set it to auto it runs at 696mhz. Either im stupid or my MB doesnt "really" support 800mhz like it says, any ideas?

thanks,
    OwT
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Are you positive the memory is DDR800 and not just DDR667 that someone has testing to 800? What's the SPD say? Download an SPD Reader program like DocMemory and find out for sure.

Also notethis from MSI on this motherboard:
    Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.
  5. No Profile Picture
    I AM A GOLDEN GOD
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

The other thing to consider is that mainboard manufacturers typically put out a list of compatible memory (as in certain memory manufacturers and / or versions of memory) just for issues like this. Did you check with MSI (you can usually find something like this on their website) before you bought the RAM?
    "Seriously, we're not a search engine, we're actual people." ~ ManiacDan

BookMooch.com : Give books away. Get books you want.
  7. No Profile Picture

I dont have a floppy drive, so i cant use DocMemory, is there any other program I can use? and no i didnt check the list of compatible memory. Ill check tomorrow to see what brand ram i have, i cant open it up today, too many people over here ( i hate it when family comes over)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Actually I was thinking 'DocMemory SPD Reader' (same people) but is a windows program...http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/docinfo.asp -- halfway down the page.

DocMemory DIMM SPD Reader allows user to easily extract a detailed memory profile of your PC system by reading the DIMM memory SPD EEPROM and displays the SPD results from the memory module

DocMemory SPD Reader is an automatied application software to take the guesswork of upgrading your PC memory. It helps PC users determine the correct memory information which aid in the memory upgrade for their PC. All done without the need to know the specific Manufacturer Model Number. With a simple click of the mouse, DocMemory SPD Reader builds a detailed memory profile of your PC system by reading the DIMM memory SPD EEPROM, displaying the SPD content results as follows :

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo