1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What is the best motherboard money can buy?

I am interested in building a computer, but i am finding it difficult to find which motherboard(s) would be the best choice.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I am looking to get the best of the best, motherboard wise, so that i can upgrade things like the processor in the future (I am currently interested in getting an i7 920, but in the future i might like to upgrade).
    If anyone has suggestions for the best few boards, i would greatly appreciate the advice!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Processor upgradability for Intel processors is generally very poor and the 1366 socket used by the i7-920 is already 3+ years old. Intel has released three new consumer-grade sockets since then; in fact, the official replacement for 1366 was released last month. You could spend a lot on a nice motherboard for it, but you're not going to have any new processors to upgrade to in the future.

For maximum upgradability you should base your new system around the LGA 2011 socket. Since parts are still scarce right now I'd recommend waiting a couple months.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

thanks
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i am a fan of those 2 boards:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme/BATTLEFIELD 3 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS

and

GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

check them out to see which have the enough sockets that you need, like HD sockets, usb ports, supported raid ...etc

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo