1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Motherboard Transistors

Hi,

Is it true that if the Motherboard Transistors start to expand then it means that the Motherboard is soon going to die.

I have taken my computer to a (well known) computer vendor the other day because the power supply of my PC stopped working. He replaced the power supply and the computer started working again. Then he told me that the Motherboard Transistors where expanding which could mean that the motherboard was going to die!!

Is this true. Do Motherboard Transistors really start expanding after a period of time and if yes then what could I do to save my Motherboard from this horrible destiny that awaits her?

Regards,
    Sim085
  3. Malware Warrior /AV forum Mod
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Those are capacitors. And the shop is correct sooner or later the motherboard will fail. Some times parts and sometimes all at once.

So the bottom line is to NOT spend any more money on this computer especially if its a name brand computer. AND keep anything important backed up away from the computer.
    Neera: The wraith will not allow us to escape.
    Sheppard: Yeah, well I try not to let them tell me what I can and can't do.
    Neera: You do not fear them?
    Sheppard: The wraith, nah. Now clowns that's another story. They scare the crap out of me.

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Porthos,

So in that picture the top-right capacitor is an example of an expanding capacitor? I can check if I have the same thing on my motherboard and see how bad it is.

Regarding backup; if the motherboard dies it does not kill anything with her such as the hard drive right? if not then I can leave things as they are and done just move the hard drive to another computer once this one dies.

Regards,
    Sim085
  7. Malware Warrior /AV forum Mod

Even if the tops are lust bloted and not leaking they are going bad.

Regarding backup; if the motherboard dies it does not kill anything with her such as the hard drive right? if not then I can leave things as they are and done just move the hard drive to another computer once this one dies.
    Usually not. But anything is possible, Look at it this way, the drive could fail before the motherbord and my best advice is no matter how old or new the computer is have a backup of ANYTHING you cannot afford to loose at your next boot.
    Sheppard: The wraith, nah. Now clowns that's another story. They scare the crap out of me.

9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

... and what does usually contribute to the death of these transistors? Is it the amount of time the computer is switched on and off, the amount of time the computer is on, the temperature in which the computer operates, etc etc?
  11. Malware Warrior /AV forum Mod

I would say
    Heat
    cheap insufficient powersupply
    Combination of all of the above.

13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks again Porthos,

I think the problem in my case is insufficient power supply since I had 2 PSU's on this computer which got burnt for some reason or another (maybe something defected in the motherboard!).

Anyways this motherboard is no longer available on the market so if it dies then I will lose the CPU, RAM, Graphics Card, Sound Card, etc. Do you think it is possible on today's motherboards to actually replace these things? Maybe I take it to someone? Or you think its not worth it?
  15. Malware Warrior /AV forum Mod

Or you think its not worth it?
    That is the way I see it.

The best thing. keep backups, Never install a program that you do not have the disk or the downloaded install file.(back those up as well if they are paid products) Always keep those in a safe place and the product keys as well.
    Dont borrow friends install disks have your own.

So when you have to get another computer you will have the things you need to ease the pain of starting over,

17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Porthos for all your help I will do as you suggested.

Thanks again,
    Sim085

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo