1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Motherboards switching on but nothing happens

Hi,

I have two motherboards (one of them I am sure was working fine) which when I turn them on the cpu fun starts turning normally however nothing comes on the screen. I do not know what coul be wrong. All I have connected to the motherboard is ram and a IDE cable to a CD drive with Ubuntu Live CD in it. Does anyone know what could be wrong!?

Regards,
    Sim095
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Since it is related. What is the minimum hardware you need to switch on a PC (i.e. get something displayed on screen). I was guessing CPU and RAM. However is there anything else I need? I just wanted to see if motherboard and processor work fine.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by sim085
    Since it is related. What is the minimum hardware you need to switch on a PC (i.e. get something displayed on screen). I was guessing CPU and RAM. However is there anything else I need? I just wanted to see if motherboard and processor work fine.
    From research on the internet I found out that the minimum required hardware is CPU, RAM (only 1 slot) and Video Card (if not on-board).
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I managed to switch one of the motherboards on (the Intel4 one). However I did a discovery which I cannot explain. Note that I am trying this motherboard without putting it in a case and therefore without a switch. When I turn the power supply on nothing happens. However the system does boot up when I remove the clock battery and put (the same one) in. Is this normal?

Edit: Reset the CMOS (using jumpers has the same effect). Additionally if use the motherboard switch then I do not need to stay reseting the CMOS or removing the battery.
    Last edited by sim085; June 7th, 2010 at 05:01 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Your RAM may have issues with it. Sometimes if the screen doesn't turn on it means that the motherboard isn't even getting that far. Another possiblity is that you do not have the CMOS set to read that card, but if you reset it properly should not be an issue. Another possibilty is that you do not have power to the card, which could be the case if you need to plug in external power. Please provide more info on mobo and card for additional help... Tell me how it goes!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by boydbroncos51
    Tell me how it goes!
    back in June I had packed everything after getting one of the motherboards working (the ARock/IntelP4 one). Back then I had blamed one of the ram sticks for the motherboard not switching on. However last week I got everything out again (because I am going to use this system for a small project) and everything worked fine when I use the switch of the motherboard to turn it on/off. I was lucky enough to also find out that the ram I previously thought was broken actually works. So the problem on that one was that I was not using the motherboard right. After switching on the power supply I had to also switch the motherboard on from switch unless the CMOS was reseted. I know that sounds newb but the fact is that in hardware I am still learning.

Anyway, I still had another motherboard with processor and ram which was not working. I always felt that the problem with this one was the motherboard itself. I had another motherboard Socket462 (a friend was going to throw this away around a year ago and I had told him to give it to me) and therefore I moved the CPU and Ram to this motherboard. Everything worked fine. So now I have two motherboards that work like a charm. They are old systems, but still helpfull to learn things both from the hardware and software world.

Thanks for the interest
    Last edited by sim085; September 9th, 2010 at 06:27 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo