1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Why PCIe slots have different colours?

Hello, I was wondering, why do PCIe slots on motherboards have different colours (ex: one is blue and one is orange)? Note that I am mostly referring to motherboard which have two or more PCIe slots for CrossfireX and/or SLI graphics cards.
    Last edited by sim085; September 19th, 2010 at 08:45 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You'll need to consult the motherboard manual to determine what the colors mean, as far as I know there is no standard. Usually the colors indicate the different speeds of the slots (16x, 8x, 4x or 1x). The colors might also indicate which slots share bandwidth lanes. Often times a motherboard will support one graphics card at 16x, but if you have two it can only run each at 8x.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    You'll need to consult the motherboard manual to determine what the colors mean, as far as I know there is no standard. Usually the colors indicate the different speeds of the slots (16x, 8x, 4x or 1x). The colors might also indicate which slots share bandwidth lanes. Often times a motherboard will support one graphics card at 16x, but if you have two it can only run each at 8x.
    Thanks for your reply. At first that is what I thought, that the colours refer to the speed of the slots. For example the manual of the GA-MA785GT-UD3H (rev 1.0) motherboard says that this has a PCIe x16 and another PCIe x4. These slots have different colour. However the slots of the same motherboard but different revisions; (rev 1.1) and (rev 1.3), have same colour. At first I thought that this means that cards installed on these slots would run at the same speed. However the manuals of these (available for download) two motherboards (rev 1.1 and 1.3) still say that the slots are PCIe x16 and PCIe x4!!

I was going to send an email to Gigabyte to confirm the actual speed of these slots. However wanted to see if there is some standard with the colouring before doing so.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo