1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

No Power to Motherboard?

Hi. Yesterday I installed a Soyo SY71S2 socket 370 mobo into my computer, replacing a similar but inferior one. I got all the drivers and everything set up and working great (Win 98SE). Then I installed a new Sound Blaster 4.1 soundcard. When I attempted to turn the machine back on, I got several beeps (4 I think), and it shut down. I couldn't get the power to come back on. I noticed that a little juice was coming through because the fan on the heatsink was coughing pathetically, trying to start, but couldn't. I tried a different PSU with the same result. I put the old motherboard back in and it started up just fine. So the problem is on the mobo somewhere. Is there a way to diagnose this problem? Or am I hosed?

thanks.

KenRyan
  3. No Profile Picture

Just checking back in to see if anyone has any ideas. I have seen posts on this forum and on another one from folks who have said the exact same thing happened to them. But nobody seems to kow what it means. To recap, the mobo worked fine until I added some screwposts to support it better, and re-seated it and added a new soundblaster card. Nothing happens when I push the power button except the heatsind fan spins for a few seconds. It is NOT the PSU, and not the wire connections. LIke I said, the thing worked fine earlier. and the old mobo is now back in and working alright.

KenRyan
  5. Contributing User

if you added the riser "post" you may have one contacting the printed circuit, pull the motherboard out check to make sure they all match correctly, could also pull the psu and try the board out of the case. also since you added hardware, make sure the sound card is seated fully, along with all other hardware, ram, video card, ect.......try the board without the sound card, also try using the cmos jumper to clear the settings to see if it detected something wrong, or just didnt pick up the new device correctly.
    She showed me her software so i pulled out my python.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by voices8mybrain
    if you added the riser "post" you may have one contacting the printed circuit, pull the motherboard out check to make sure they all match correctly, could also pull the psu and try the board out of the case. also since you added hardware, make sure the sound card is seated fully, along with all other hardware, ram, video card, ect.......try the board without the sound card, also try using the cmos jumper to clear the settings to see if it detected something wrong, or just didnt pick up the new device correctly.
    Voices,

Thanks. I checked and indeed there was one post that was making contact with some of the leads under the board. I also cleared the BIOS. I don't know exactly what the problem was, but it's fixed now!. Thanks for all your help.

Ken

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo