1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

RE: Adding options to motherboads.

If a certain motherboard lacks floppy disk drive connector, eSATA, & FireWire...is there way to add these using adapters, cards, etc., via PCI, SATA, USB 2.0 or IDE? If so, please advise exactly what search terms I use on Google, as I need to buy these, but can't seem to figure out what to ask for! For the floppy drive, I absolutely need internal sort.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You can add eSATA easily via SATA. Google "SATA to eSATA". They are pretty simple and cheap.

You can add Firewire via PCI with a card like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124034

There's a good chance that you can find a PCI card that adds both eSATA and Firewire on the same card.

Floppy drives died before SATA and USB 2.0 even existed, so the chance of finding an internal floppy connector on either of those is virtually zero. Floppy and IDE are completely incompatible, and while an active adapter would be possible, I can't imagine why any company would ever have designed or built one.

I'm pretty sure you used to be able to buy PCI floppy controllers (like 20 years ago), although I'm pretty sure they are no longer manufactured (and haven't been for a long time). You might be able to find one on eBay or a garage sale. You can buy external USB floppy drives. It will probably be cheaper than buying an adapter even if you were able to find an adapter. Plus finding modern drivers for a PCI floppy controller might be even harder than finding the physical adapter.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

koo

Q. Will my ASUS motherboard installed two sata hard drive is a 500G is a 1T system is Win7 had been using a good Recently I reinstall the system can not start a stop at the picture of four balls on the resumption of the continuous reboot I lost a hard disk under the battery out for a while to get into the next system that I have two hard drives were tested it means I can not be used in a hot-plug hard drives into the system to restart and then another to die, but how can return do you want seek expert
  7. No Profile Picture

koo

Q. Will my ASUS motherboard installed two sata hard drive is a 500G is a 1T system is Win7 had been using a good Recently I reinstall the system can not start a stop at the picture of four balls on the resumption of the continuous

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo