1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Shuttle XPC SB61G2 bootup problems

Hello..

My machine is, as the thread title suggest, a Shuttle XPC SB61G2 with the following specs:

Radeon 9600 Pro
    P4 2.6 (800mhz fsb)
    Seagate Barracuda 80gb SATA
    Sony 16X DVD (silver, DDU1621/SV)
    Audigy LS
    Corsair TWINX 512x2 (dual channel, pc3200)

The background:

I bought the machine in November, '03, and it's been running flawlessly up until yesterday when my Radeon's fan decided to start making noise. I fiddled with the fan, and since I didn't have any compound to re-attach the fan properly, I decided to just put in a spare GF4 TI 4200 until I went to get some. That's when the problems started.

The problem:

There is absolutely no video from any card I put into the machine, nor the onboard card (intel extreme graphics) and I hear no BIOS beeps to lend a helping hand at determining the problem. It appears that maybe POST is in a continuing cycle because the cdrom spins up about every 6 or 7 seconds like it's going through the normal POST routine. If I decide to open the cdrom, within a few seconds it will close it, again very much like if the machine is rebooted and starts POST.

What I've done:

Well, as I've already said, I've tried various video cards thinking that was an issue. I've cleared the CMOS (remove ATX power, switch A1 jumper for maybe 30 seconds, then move jumper back and re-attach power) and that did not do anything to fix the problem. I've taken out all periphs (dvd, hdd) and then tried to see if I could get any video, and that did not work either. Being this is a shuttle, I haven't attached another PSU mainly because the one I have is 480W and the Shuttle PSU is only 200W and I'm not sure if it's a good idea. If anyone knows if connecting the bigger PSU won't harm the shuttle, I'll gladly try that.

I appreciate any feedback.
  3. Contributing User

it wont hurt to try the bigger power supply, the only difference is how much load they can handle, the power output is the same.
    She showed me her software so i pulled out my python.
  5. No Profile Picture

I had the exact thing happen to me. Usually clearing the cmos by using the jumper put it right. But the last time, I was testing memory for a friend, which probably wasn't at all usable with my ancient (2.5 yr old) system... any way this time cmos jumper just wouldn't do it. Then for some reason I decided to boot it up with no ram installed. of course it did the exact same thing, just a looping post w/no video. I put the ram back in and booted. Everything back to normal... Weirdest issue I've ever had. I f you're still having the problem, maybe this might help.
  7. No Profile Picture

Me, too.

Originally Posted by rnswebx
    Hello..

There is absolutely no video from any card I put into the machine, nor the onboard card (intel extreme graphics) and I hear no BIOS beeps to lend a helping hand at determining the problem.

Hello -

For what it's worth, I am experiencing the same problem. We have four Shuttle Prima XPC boxes, all of which sat quietly in storage for a few months. Now, only one works. The others will not boot - they turn on, I can hear a few seconds of hard-drive noises, the fan spins, but nothing shows up on the display.

I have tried to remove the extra hard drives, and I removed the RAM, and pressed the CMOS button... but to no avail.

I know this thread is 6 years old, but did any of you recover?

gregg
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by favalora
    Hello -

For what it's worth, I am experiencing the same problem. We have four Shuttle Prima XPC boxes, all of which sat quietly in storage for a few months. Now, only one works. The others will not boot - they turn on, I can hear a few seconds of hard-drive noises, the fan spins, but nothing shows up on the display.

I have tried to remove the extra hard drives, and I removed the RAM, and pressed the CMOS button... but to no avail.

I know this thread is 6 years old, but did any of you recover?

gregg
    have the same issue now after the wife moved the shuttle. thought it was the CMOS battery, so got a new CMOS battery. cleared the BIOS. system still will not POST.

then got a new PS, cleared the CMOS once again. still system will not POST.

if you have NOT done so, you may wan to shut down the shuttle. unplug the power then clear the CMOS. return CMOS jumpers to normal. then try a reboot.

if that is a no go, start on the hardware device including the CPU, RAM, etc.

hope that helps and good luck on the recovery.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks GWIZ,

In the last week, I succumbed and dropped off the Shuttle at a PC repair shop. Of course, the moment they plugged it in, it booted up. I don't know the reason for the intermittent performance yet. I suspect a broken PCB trace, since carrying the PC across the street might've slightly deformed the PCB back into place, causing it to work again. We'll see...

good luck
    gregg
  13. No Profile Picture

Possible Solution

We had the same issue with several Shuttles at my office. By replacing the video cards with ones that were less power-demanding, I was able to get them to boot.

I'm guessing the power supplies are dying over time. If I weren't so cheap and lazy, I would pick up a power supply tester.

Assuming the power supply is the problem, replacing it should fix the issue as well.
  15. No Profile Picture

Sorry to bring this thread back once again... but I had a similar problem with a couple of shuttle systems. My original Shuttle is a Shuttle XPC 61G... great little machine, has run like a clock until yesterday. I dismantled it thinking I would use some parts for a newer shuttle barebones which was still sealed in a box (SD30G2B). Unfortunately, I didn't pop the shell off the new box, and when I did I realized the parts I had laying on the desk wouldn't work (wrong memory speed, wrong video card). So I started putting the original machine back together as it was... and when I went to boot it about an hour ago... I get a message "no video signal... check cables". So I did check everything to make sure all is well. Looks fine, and BTW, there's a new PS in this machine, replaced about a year ago.

So the machine powers up just fine, beeps and boops... but no video. I don't have the manual for this one... so I tried the CMOS jumper (took a chance on J1) and then it worked.

Mike
    Last edited by DrGrafix; March 6th, 2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Wound up figuring out what was the CMOS jumper.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo