1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Suggestions ... case for multiple motherboards

Hello, at the moment I already have three motherboards without a case. I plan to use these to test different systems together. At the moment I just put the motherboards on the floor (with spacers), connect everything, do what I need to do, and then pack everything again. This is good when trying to resuscitate a previously thought broken motherboard. However it does not fit my needs when actually having to use these motherboards.

Does anyone know of any solution (both commercial and home-made) that I can use so that I can assemble these motherboards in a single case (maybe with a single monitor as well).
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I've never seen a case that supports more than one motherboard, but they do make test benches that you can mount a single motherboard to and still have easy access to it for testing purposes. You would of course need one for each motherboard, but if they are primarily used for testing this is probably your best bet.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    I've never seen a case that supports more than one motherboard, but they do make test benches that you can mount a single motherboard to and still have easy access to it for testing purposes. You would of course need one for each motherboard, but if they are primarily used for testing this is probably your best bet.
    Yes I did see such test benches, I think on cool master website. However in my mind I vision something more like a rack that can accomodate normal PC motherboards rather then a test bench. I thought of building such a rack myself. However I was hoping to find better solutions here.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

They do make cabinets that can store multiple computers.

You could get a small 4U cabinet like this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215189

And then buy 3 1U chassis:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811152107

However you need pretty small components to fit inside a 1U chassis. If you're using standard desktop components you'll probably need a 2U or 4U chassis, and you'll need a bigger cabinet too.

You could use a KVM which will allow you to use a single monitor, keyboard and mouse for all of the computers:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107419

You can probably buy cabinets that have integrated KVM's too.

These components are designed for servers and space optimization though, and they are not going to be cheap. If space isn't a concern, your best bet cost wise is to buy three separate mid tower cases and chain them together with a KVM.

Comments on this post

• karsh44 agrees
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

There is one case that I know of. Unfortunately, it isn't in production any more. As you can imagine, things like that are not ever going to be popular with enough people ot make them economically viable.

The Thermaltake Mozart TX

I have seen one of these in real life, and they are pretty damned huge. If you really need something like this, it might be possible to find something on an auction site or a runnout place somewhere, but the chances are pretty slim.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo