#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Trouble adding second SATA hard drive on Asus A7N8X Deluxe


    hi all... trying to install a second SATA drive (Hitachi 750GB, 32MB cache, for storage) in my PC, however, I cannot get past the initial boot screen where drives and their capacity are listed. It lists my current SATA drive (Maxtor, 250GB w/16MB cache with functioning WinXP SP2 OS) then the new drive, but then it just hangs there. As soon as I pull the SATA cable, the PC boots normally again.

    I would have thought that since the jumper (to enable SATA) is set correctly AND the SATA/RAID driver is present (loaded at XP install via F6...) that the machine would see the second drive without any problems.

    Pertinent specs
    OS: Windows XP, SP2
    Motherboard: Asus A7N8X Deluxe, PCB revision 2.0
    BIOS: Phoenix v1008, 2004/08/10 update
    CPU: Athlon XP 2100+
    RAM: 2GB Corsair PC3200 dual channel, twin bank
    Primary H/D (with OS): Maxtor 250GB SATA, 16MB cache
    Secondary H/D (storage): Western Digital Caviar, 40GB

    I'm a bit stumped, so any assistance is great appreciated! Thank you, in advance.
  2. #2
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    OAKLAND CA | Adam's Point (Fairyland)
    Posts
    14,954
    Rep Power
    8617
    Possibly one thing you didn't think to put on your list: your power supply might not be up to the task of powering everything with the second drive in there.
    medialint.com

    “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by medialint
    Possibly one thing you didn't think to put on your list: your power supply might not be up to the task of powering everything with the second drive in there.
    good point. but I'm pretty sure it's not that... just installed an OCZ 600w GameXStream which is running nicely.

    I did a bit more research and "think" that its partly related to the SATA 300 vs SATA 150 spec, (my board is definitely SATA 150)... but on the flip side, I'm pretty sure its suppose to degrade to the 150 speed anyways.

    still stumped. more thoughts?
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by wannabejedi
    good point. but I'm pretty sure it's not that... just installed an OCZ 600w GameXStream which is running nicely.

    I did a bit more research and "think" that its partly related to the SATA 300 vs SATA 150 spec, (my board is definitely SATA 150)... but on the flip side, I'm pretty sure its suppose to degrade to the 150 speed anyways.

    still stumped. more thoughts?
    Did you get any resoluation for this? I'm trying to do the exact same thing and it is NOT liking me either.

    I already have a 400GB SATA HD that works 100% in there but when I try to add a 1TB SATA HD it freezes at the SATARAID screen. If I unplug the 1TB drive the system loads fine.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0
    Wonder why it does that? Static get on it?
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    opted to install in external enclosure...


    Originally Posted by millsusaf
    Did you get any resoluation for this? I'm trying to do the exact same thing and it is NOT liking me either.

    I already have a 400GB SATA HD that works 100% in there but when I try to add a 1TB SATA HD it freezes at the SATARAID screen. If I unplug the 1TB drive the system loads fine.
    nope... I opted to install the SATA drive in an external Antec enclosure. it's only USB2 speeds, but I only need it for data, not for it's computing speeds.

    IMHO, i think that the first-gen SATA boards just weren't up to snuff. eventually, I'm just going to rebuild/buy a new rig with "modern" equipment..

    luck, all ~
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by wannabejedi
    nope... I opted to install the SATA drive in an external Antec enclosure. it's only USB2 speeds, but I only need it for data, not for it's computing speeds.

    IMHO, i think that the first-gen SATA boards just weren't up to snuff. eventually, I'm just going to rebuild/buy a new rig with "modern" equipment..

    luck, all ~
    Thanks. I think that is what I am going to have to do.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo