#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Trouble with power port on dell inspiron 1100 motherboard


    Hi i am having problems charging my dell inspiron 1100. I have to press down on the top of the male end of the power adapter that plugs into the laptop in order for it to charge. We tried to see if the pins from the port were broken but all checked out fine for continuity from the front to the back. We can't identify where one of the pins connects to the motherboard so its difficult for us to find the problem. Can any one assist in this matter?
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by willojam
    Hi i am having problems charging my dell inspiron 1100. I have to press down on the top of the male end of the power adapter that plugs into the laptop in order for it to charge. We tried to see if the pins from the port were broken but all checked out fine for continuity from the front to the back. We can't identify where one of the pins connects to the motherboard so its difficult for us to find the problem. Can any one assist in this matter?
    I know this post was nearly 3 years ago, but I wanted to reply to as many of these types of threads in as many forums as possible, as I see them often.

    I have an Inspiron 9300 that 'had' the same problem. Dell wanted to replace the motherboard (warranty was expired) No way was I paying for that. After much digging I found a computer shop that repairs laptops. They said this problem is VERY common. Problem - loose power port. Dell says it cant be fixed - in reality, yes, yes it can.

    Long story short, an hour of labor and some solder, and it is fixed. $60 to fix a problem that Dell wanted hundreds and hundreds to fix.

    Hunt around, call ALL the computer shops in your town and you WILL find someone who can fix it. Its an easy fix that Dell does not want you to know about.
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0
    all i have to say it, do you know how one of them fixed it? because i get alot of them in here like that... and my boss told me of a way to do it, but said it was very complicated since they are all multilayer boards, and that you could just get a new power plug and solder it in there but that it would most likely not work because of the multilayer board.
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by BCNorth
    I know this post was nearly 3 years ago, but I wanted to reply to as many of these types of threads in as many forums as possible, as I see them often.

    I have an Inspiron 9300 that 'had' the same problem. Dell wanted to replace the motherboard (warranty was expired) No way was I paying for that. After much digging I found a computer shop that repairs laptops. They said this problem is VERY common. Problem - loose power port. Dell says it cant be fixed - in reality, yes, yes it can.

    Long story short, an hour of labor and some solder, and it is fixed. $60 to fix a problem that Dell wanted hundreds and hundreds to fix.

    Hunt around, call ALL the computer shops in your town and you WILL find someone who can fix it. Its an easy fix that Dell does not want you to know about.
    I've been having the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 1100.....I talked to a friend who said he would solder it, so we pulled the computer apart, and we were looking at the port, we didn't notice any cracks or anything, he soldered some of the points just to make sure that wasn't where the problem was. We put it back together to give it a try and that didn't solve it.

    What exactly was it that needed solder?? Do you know?? Thanks!!
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Inspiron 1100 power connector


    Originally Posted by skata19
    I've been having the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 1100.....I talked to a friend who said he would solder it, so we pulled the computer apart, and we were looking at the port, we didn't notice any cracks or anything, he soldered some of the points just to make sure that wasn't where the problem was. We put it back together to give it a try and that didn't solve it.

    What exactly was it that needed solder?? Do you know?? Thanks!!
    Just repaired at this late date the power connector problem. The reality is the board design of the runs to the connector are undersized. You were on the right track with the soldering and would have been lucky to fix it without removing the connector. One of the tiny runs to the connector pin on the board broke due to the flexing of installing or removing the power plug. To see the break in the run, the connector must be removed and use a stereo microscope, mine was broken at the ring in the hole. This was still difficult to see even with the microscope. You can see that the tiny run goes to a surface mount cap less than one half inch away. The repair was to solder a small gage jumper wire from the pin to the cap. Not advisable to jumper the break with solder. I did this at work on my off time and had good equipment. Any time anything begins to be intermittent it is usually due to mechanical stress or heat stress to the solder joint. If you see any joint that has cracks or openings, re-flow the solder and use flux if possible. Had repaired another brand laptop power supply because of solder breaks from mechanical stress. I see the same problems with the boards I work with. Good luck

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo