1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unable yo switch on the cpu

hai friends,i am using AMD processor with Widows XP os.when i press power sw on the cabinet the cpu never switch on.if i press the power sw on the cabinet two/three times it will on.i tested the power switch,SMPS are good.UPS also working well.what may be the problem? please help anyone.......

Comments on this post

• jzd disagrees : For cross-posting.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

5. No Profile Picture

Well you say the CPU never switches on, do you mean the computer? The CPU is a component inside the computer.

Does it post at all? Meaning you press the button, and it fires up and you get normally a splash screen from the motherboard manufacturer pop up.

The intermitant problems are always a pain. Open it up, check all the connections and waggle them, clean any dust away, and experiment with pressing the button harder. Sometimes the buttons connectors get corroded over time and this kind of problem can occur.

The other issues could be a dieing motherboard or faulty PSU. Basically when you press the button, the motherboard starts to draw power from the PSU and shove it back down the earth. The PSU then thinks, "ah, time to provide power", and does so.

You can test the PSU with a paperclip, you simply stick one end into one of the 12v points on the 24pin cable, and one end into one of the earth pins. When you connect the PSU to the mains and turn it on, it should fire up.
  7. No Profile Picture

Smile

thanks for information.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo