1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Whats the best Mobo for gamers?

Give me your opinions on what you think is the best Mobo is for gamers.
    The CPU will be an AMD, possibly a Athlon 64 4000+
    And I will be running an SLI setup of 2 GeForce 6800 series graphics cards. With 2 Gb dual channel memory.

With this rough setup, what would be the best mobo for me. I want the most reliable and fastest mobo. And I dont overclock. So it has to be good right out of the box.

I`ve read the Asus A8N-SLI Premium has the best 3dMark03 score right out of the box for a SLI board.

Thanks for your time.
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I can't vouch for that particular motherboard, but I have always found Asus to be a good choice as far as maker. On the computer I just ordered parts for I was considering a Gigabyte MB but finally ended up going with Asus because they've always performed well and never burned out on me (except I did fry one, but that was my fault, for allowing a stray case screw to land on it and create a short circuit).

A lot of sites like newegg have user reviews. For yours they have 463 written reviews and it scores 4/5 from 1,200+ votes. That should be plenty of opinions to get you started. There are many online sites which have user reviews. I suggest you read through them, reading all the various ratings to get an overall feel. Granted, some reviewers obviously never installed a modern memory module (and can't read instructions) and that's their problem, but most are fairly informed and you'll probably get an idea of any pitfalls along with deserved praise by reading a bunch. I do that for (read many reviews from several different sites) for most of my components: hard drives, mbs, memory, cpus.

Nice that it supports 4GB RAM, looks like a nice board spec wise.

I wouldn't put too much faith in benchmarks, your whole machine needs to be performing optimally to take advantage of any one component.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I agree that Asus are good boards. As medialint mentioned, however, mobo performance is probably last on the list of things that make your computer go faster, particularly if you don't overclock. This review compares quite a few boards that would fit your specs. Notice on the benchmarks there is very little separating first from last, and the order varies from test to test.

Choose your motherboard for features, reliability and price. Choose the rest of your components to get performance.

Comments on this post

• YoMoma agrees
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

True Karsh, true. The current 3 year old motherboard I am using has only a 4x AGP slot which wont even utilize my 8x agp Raydeon 9800 pro card to it`s fullest, so I guess thats where I get the "fast" questions about mobo`s.
    Guess I am also looking for a board that is easy for the novice to install and get working correctly. I would have a hard time troubleshooting a mobo.
  9. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

The Asus board you mentioned would be good. MSI boards are well labeled too, and I've heard good things about DFI and Gigabyte. Pick one that fits your budget and feature list. Have fun!
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  11. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I just built my new box today on an asus micro atx board and had absolutely no issues whatsoever. Put it in a Q-Pack case. It all wired up nicely. Just check the manual for how to connect the case leads and it should be pretty simple to put it all together. Asus board are generally adequately labeled to find your way about easily.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I have that board, quite satsified so far.

Just don't try to use it with Maxtor drives. There's some sort of incompatibility believed to be with the nforce4 chipset.
  15. Thinking!

Probably the best board for gaming (because it is so damn OverClockable) is the DFI Lanparty nf4 sli-dr.

Check it out >>here<<

Ice.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by IceDragon
    Probably the best board for gaming (because it is so damn OverClockable) is the DFI Lanparty nf4 sli-dr.>>here<<
    Totally need to agree with IceDragon.

DFI LanParty nForce4 is clearly the best S939 motherboard.
  19. No Profile Picture

best mobo of all time

You know all of you sucks!!!

You don't know d best motherboard?

Well...

MSI is the ONE

Gigabyte is a waste of money..it burns and stocked at all times
    Gigabyte should close their company...it sucks....

I'm very disappointed with ds mobo---Gigabyte>>>its hell!just in 3 months....

Now I'm contented with MSI

almost running 20 hrs a day and a 4 hrs break...
    I'm a hardcore gamer

I love: call of duty 4
    gta 4
    medal of honor
    prince of percia
    cs 2.0 source
    10 other offline games
    and 25 online games on my pc

amd phenom II 920 quad-core
    500 gb sata seagate baracuda hdd
    2x2 gb ddr2 kingston 800
    MSI mobo
    ati redeon 4890 1gb

Comments on this post

• LDHosting disagrees
    • misterdanny disagrees : The fact you use the > symbol in a sentence is probably a sign that there is a User error.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wow you went way outta your way to resurrect a 3 and a half year old thread just to plug MSI boards.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo