1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question I wish to change my SDRAM to DDR ram can you help!!!!!!!!

Hello to who ever is reading this article

I need help as I've tried looking for my motherboard manual on the net but unsuccessfully. My motherboard is a SV266A as I've got 2 sticks of PC133 256MB ram in there at the moment but i want to put in the 2 sticks of 512MB DDR ram in but i think i have to mess about with the jumpers but as i can't find the manual i' not sure how the jumpers are meant to be set as there's the JP1, JP4 and a set of 80 pins. So if anyone could help me please do thank you Peter mills.
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by petermills26@ho

I need help as I've tried looking for my motherboard manual on the net but unsuccessfully. My motherboard is a SV266A as I've got 2 sticks of PC133 256MB ram in there at the moment but i want to put in the 2 sticks of 512MB DDR ram in but i think i have to mess about with the jumpers but as i can't find the manual i' not sure how the jumpers are meant to be set as there's the JP1, JP4 and a set of 80 pins. So if anyone could help me please do thank you Peter mills.
    Welcome to Dev Shed.

Take a look at this link which includes the manual for that motherboard.
  5. Malware Warrior /AV forum Mod
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Just a warning.....

You CAN NOT run both types of memory at the same time. If you try you will fry the board,memory or both.
    Neera: The wraith will not allow us to escape.
    Sheppard: Yeah, well I try not to let them tell me what I can and can't do.
    Neera: You do not fear them?
    Sheppard: The wraith, nah. Now clowns that's another story. They scare the crap out of me.

7. No Profile Picture

i know thank you

i know thank you but like i said i'm after the jumper settings for the motherboard but i'm now having problems trying to open a link that i've had sent to me by (hiker) as i've only got os Win xp home no extras like office or anything at the moment and it won't open in word pad as theres diagrams and stuff not compatable with the software of wordpad thanks peter.

Originally Posted by Porthos
    Just a warning.....

You CAN NOT run both types of memory at the same time. If you try you will fry the board,memory or both.
  9. They're coming to take me away

i know thank you but like i said i'm after the jumper settings for the motherboard but i'm now having problems trying to open a link that i've had sent to me by (hiker) as i've only got os Win xp home no extras like office or anything at the moment and it won't open in word pad as theres diagrams and stuff not compatable with the software of wordpad thanks peter.
    I tried downloading it to see what type of file it is, but the site went down, so couldnt finish my download.

After you unzip it, what file extension is the manual in? Most manuals are downloaded in PDF format, which you can open with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Acrobat is free, so just click the link, download, and install.

Or if it is a Microsoft format, then you can download OpenOffice which is also free.

If it's neither .pdf or .doc, then let us know the extension, and we'll help you get it opened.
  11. No Profile Picture

thank you

thank you hiker i went and down loaded the free Microsoft office trial version from the Microsoft website and opened it in Microsoft word but I've done what it said in the manual but when i put in the new DDR ram it's gave me a red light on my tower and then started bleeping at me i would buy SDRAM but the price of it is so expensive per GB over here don't know what it's like over there in the u.s. but in the u.k. it's a rip off and when i seen the price of it i nearly died as everyone wants SDRAM so they've upped the price for that and lowered it for the DDR ram but that's now left me in limbo as i want to upgrade this tower thanks peter.
  13. They're coming to take me away

thank you hiker i went and down loaded the free Microsoft office trial version from the Microsoft website and opened it in Microsoft word but I've done what it said in the manual but when i put in the new DDR ram it's gave me a red light on my tower and then started bleeping at me i would buy SDRAM but the price of it is so expensive per GB over here don't know what it's like over there in the u.s. but in the u.k. it's a rip off and when i seen the price of it i nearly died as everyone wants SDRAM so they've upped the price for that and lowered it for the DDR ram but that's now left me in limbo as i want to upgrade this tower thanks peter.
    Guess the first question to ask is:

What type of memory did you purchase? Was it one of the supported DDR types for that particular motherboard?

Are both of the new memory sticks identical?

Also, did you make sure that the memory sticks were seated properly?
  15. No Profile Picture

Hi hiker

The memory is DDR1 512 PC2100 266Hz cl2.5, both sticks are identical and yes they where both seated properly and tried 1 stick at a time just 2 make sure this is why i can't understand whats wrong with it peter.
  17. No Profile Picture

You should check the specs of your DDR RAM. It may be that you have high density version. This memory is cheap to produce, but is not very compliant and your board may be rejecting it. Use low density modules for maximum compatabilty.
  19. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Samuel4u
    I agree with the above post.
    You pull up a 3 month old post just to agree with it? You know there is a reputation button just for this.
  21. No Profile Picture

Installing the jumpers - similar problem - please help!

Hi. I've read through this thread and I am trying to switch over to DDR ram as you had done with the same motherboard - Syntax SV226A. I have the manual but I've never done anything like this with an 80pin jumper strip and I'm not sure what I'm doing. I bought 2.54mm standard size jumper caps, but they don't fit if I try to put them on every pair... which is what I assume I need to do to short all of them. I should say, after I put 3 on next to each other, it is extremely tight to get the next one on. Do I need a different type of jumper? How did you get this to work?

Thanks for the help!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo