1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation No boot W/ AGP BEEP CODE

This is my first post here on the board, so thanks to all for listening and helping.

No matter what I do when I boot up, I get an AGP Beep Code (Award Bios - 1 long beep, 2 short beeps). I have the following setup, and tried the following "switchouts" to see what is wrong:

MB: Abit AT7-MAX2 with Corsair XMS PC2700 512MB * 1.
    attached: Power, power header, PC speaker header, RAM, CPU.
    mounted: Tried both in case and on anti-static bag.

Tried (all combinations thereof):

CPU -- Athlon XP 2100+, Athlon XP 2600+

Video -- Matrox G400, GeForce4 4200 TI, RADEON 9700 PRO

PSU -- RAIDMAX 350W (with and w/o optional P4 power plug), HEC 350W (with and w/o optional P4 power plug)

CMOS battery: 3V supplied, 3V from a P3 system

RAM: **NO EXTRA RAM**...tried all 4 DIMM's.
    installed: AGP Beep Code
    not-installed: RAM Beep Code

In every possible combination of CPU, Video cards, Power supplies, and batteries, I get a no boot / no signal with an AGP Beep Code error. The ONLY thing I can narrow it down to, since I don't have second pieces to test, is the MOTHERBOARD or the RAM. However, since removal of the RAM provides a RAM Beep Code, I can probably assume that it's a faulty motherboard. Hell, even tried the old "Nintendo-blow-dust-out-of-the-port" technique on every nook, cranny, and expansion port on the thing...I got desperate!

I've been looking at replacing it with an Abit AN7...whatdya think, should I go ahead and cough up $100 to replace my bad motherboard, can the motherboard be fixed, or is the board even the problem in the first place??

Again, thanks for the help
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Sorry--

i have a friend whose gone through 3 mbs in two weeks with exactly the same problem.SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!
    Last edited by Got_Mike; February 24th, 2004 at 07:25 PM.
  5. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Jewbroni
    This is my first post here on the board, so thanks to all for listening and helping.

No matter what I do when I boot up, I get an AGP Beep Code (Award Bios - 1 long beep, 2 short beeps). I have the following setup, and tried the following "switchouts" to see what is wrong:

MB: Abit AT7-MAX2 with Corsair XMS PC2700 512MB * 1.
    attached: Power, power header, PC speaker header, RAM, CPU.
    mounted: Tried both in case and on anti-static bag.

Tried (all combinations thereof):

CPU -- Athlon XP 2100+, Athlon XP 2600+

Video -- Matrox G400, GeForce4 4200 TI, RADEON 9700 PRO

PSU -- RAIDMAX 350W (with and w/o optional P4 power plug), HEC 350W (with and w/o optional P4 power plug)

CMOS battery: 3V supplied, 3V from a P3 system

RAM: **NO EXTRA RAM**...tried all 4 DIMM's.
    installed: AGP Beep Code
    not-installed: RAM Beep Code

In every possible combination of CPU, Video cards, Power supplies, and batteries, I get a no boot / no signal with an AGP Beep Code error. The ONLY thing I can narrow it down to, since I don't have second pieces to test, is the MOTHERBOARD or the RAM. However, since removal of the RAM provides a RAM Beep Code, I can probably assume that it's a faulty motherboard. Hell, even tried the old "Nintendo-blow-dust-out-of-the-port" technique on every nook, cranny, and expansion port on the thing...I got desperate!

I've been looking at replacing it with an Abit AN7...whatdya think, should I go ahead and cough up $100 to replace my bad motherboard, can the motherboard be fixed, or is the board even the problem in the first place??

Again, thanks for the help
    It does sound like your agp slot or other mobo parts may be the problem. There are plenty of decent low cost boards out there, including the Abit you mentioned. I would definitely say its worth your while to do.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo