1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Big Overclocking Probs

I was trying to overclock my comp and I decided after my cpu's temp jumped 10 degrees that I would call it quits. I went to switch my FSB back to the default setting (166) but hit 200 instead (there were four options; 100,133,166 and 200) I saved and quit not realizing what I had done until I hit enter after being awake for around 25 hours (I don't know why I even decided to start tinkering with hundreds of dollars being so tired). When it went to reboot it started beeping like beeeep beeeep beeeep etc. The same sound same length everytime. Nothing came up on the screen but the drives and fans all started up. I'm not sure what to do to fix it, or even what the problem is. I have found out that its not my chip or video card, I've tested them on other machines and they are fine. Hopefully someone can help me, any help that can be given would be much appreciated.

My specs are:
    Asus A7V8MX-X
    Athlon xp 2700+
    256 RAM
    120Gb HD with 8Mb cache
    ATI Radeon 9200
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by bigdaddycol
    I was trying to overclock my comp and I decided after my cpu's temp jumped 10 degrees that I would call it quits. I went to switch my FSB back to the default setting (166) but hit 200 instead (there were four options; 100,133,166 and 200) I saved and quit not realizing what I had done until I hit enter after being awake for around 25 hours (I don't know why I even decided to start tinkering with hundreds of dollars being so tired). When it went to reboot it started beeping like beeeep beeeep beeeep etc. The same sound same length everytime. Nothing came up on the screen but the drives and fans all started up. I'm not sure what to do to fix it, or even what the problem is. I have found out that its not my chip or video card, I've tested them on other machines and they are fine. Hopefully someone can help me, any help that can be given would be much appreciated.

My specs are:
    Asus A7V8MX-X
    Athlon xp 2700+
    256 RAM
    120Gb HD with 8Mb cache
    ATI Radeon 9200
    Those are beep codes. See what BIOS you have, and look up what they mean. Also, try resetting the CMOS, which should put the FSB speed back where it belongs.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture

I have the Award bios. I did try to reset the cmos but it didn't seem to have an effect.
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by bigdaddycol
    I have the Award bios. I did try to reset the cmos but it didn't seem to have an effect.
    If you are sure you reset the cmos correctly (try it again), then did you look up the beep codes? For award bios, continuous beeping is a video or memory error. If you have ruled out the video, then it is a memory error, which could also be due to your mobo. Try different ram if you can. http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbsys/gen_Failure.htm has a good list of things to check to see if its your mobo.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  9. No Profile Picture

Make sure that you put the jumper one post over and leave it like that for 2 minutes. After allowing that amount of time replace it back to where it was originally. Now reboot and hit delete to enter bios. You should show your bios now back to their default. Doesn't always work like this for every board but I think it will for yours. Brian

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo