1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

My PC restarts itself

Hi there, I have a Dell Dimension 5150, and today it did restart itself for no reason. The power light was blinking yellow like in Stand By mode only after I hold the button to shut it down completely I could get it started again but since then it shuts itself regularly. It stays on for about 15-45sec. Actually I thought that it fails to boot because it was running for quite awhile if I unplug the HDD than I decided to reinstall Windows XP. It did install it and actually booted it so I could see the desktop screen for about 10-15sec then it shut itself again. So I don't think to booting is the problem. I doubt is overheating because all the fans are working. However a couple of days ago I bought new power supply which is about 500W which is 150W bigger than the old old one (I don't think that is the problem but just saying). I read that could be caused by several problems but the only 2 that i cannot test are the motherboard or the CPU. So if you have any ideas what should be please help me out here Thanks in advance!

PS If you need any more information just say so.
  3. They're coming to take me away

Welcome to Dev Shed.

Try switching the PSU back to the old one. This is provided there was nothing wrong with the old one causing you to have to switch it out. Even though you just purchased a new PSU, every so often, there may be a bad batch.
  5. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Right if the problem is new with the PSU swap I suspect the PSU. I recently had to replace one and before I did that I had a hell of a problem with cold starts and it would periodically reboot for no apparent reason.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  7. No Profile Picture

eeeh if that is the problem it is going to be such relieve but when it is about me the things never go so easy anyway I will try that tomorrow because I do not have another PSU and I will see what happens
  9. No Profile Picture

I wouls also expect the power supply.

it may be incompatible or just faulty

what psu is it???
  11. No Profile Picture

it is 480W GenMax ATX Switching Power Supply and its specs are 50hz on 100-130V and AC In Put 8A on +3.3V is + 32.0A, +5V is +36.0A, +12V is +16.0A, -5V is -0.6A, -12V is -0.6A, and +5VSB is +2.0A. Recently I figured that is a cheep sh** but now I am buying a better brand and hopefully it will work just fine but I will have to wait till Wednesday.
  13. No Profile Picture

Sounds like a cheap psu

get some thing like a Corsair hx-50 or the 620

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo