1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Computer w/ P4M800PRO won't post suddenly, w/ old memory

Hi,
    Heeeelp. I'm trying to help a friend by seemingly doing the simple thing of installing RAM. The motherboard is a ECS P4M800PRO-M478, and it is supposed to take DDR2 533mHz. He bought some 2Gb, and I tried to install it, but the computer wouldn't boot at all. (Ok, after reading some more, it seems that it only accepts up to 1gb==stupid newbie that I am).

Then I read about this mobo, and realized it has problems. There were a couple of people who suggested upgrading the BIOS, so I went to ECS's website and successfully did the procedure to flash the mobo with the latest BIOS. The computer booted back up after I entered the date/time. Then I tried again to change the RAM to the new DDR2 memory, and it again didn't work.

So, I was about to give up. But when I tried to go back to the old DDR memory, it stopped posting. I had done switched back to it previously w/o a problem. I can open the media drives, but there are no beeps.

Did I kill the memory?

Any help greatly appreciated. I have to leave town, and I need to at least give him his computer back in working condition.
  3. Malware Warrior /AV forum Mod
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Pull the CMOS battery and leave it unplugged for a while then put it back in and try again with the old memory.

Do not use the new memory at all. It only supports 1 gig sticks.

And for gods sake I hope you did not put both types of memory in at the same time
    Neera: The wraith will not allow us to escape.
    Sheppard: Yeah, well I try not to let them tell me what I can and can't do.
    Neera: You do not fear them?
    Sheppard: The wraith, nah. Now clowns that's another story. They scare the crap out of me.

5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Porthos
    Pull the CMOS battery and leave it unplugged for a while then put it back in and try again with the old memory.

Do not use the new memory at all. It only supports 1 gig sticks.

And for gods sake I hope you did not put both types of memory in at the same time
    Thanks for the reply...unfortunately I had to leave town before I got a chance to try it. Shoot. I actually like to learn by troubleshooting. I think he took it in to one of his friends who sells computers, so I'll try to find out what happened.

Yes, I now know that I should have tried the 1 gig stick from the beginning. Nope, didn't put in both at the same time. But that's what was weird, every time I tried new memory, and it wouldn't post, then I would go back to the old memory and it was okay. And it wouldn't work with the 1 gig stick DDR2 either.

Anyway, this has given me new motivation to finally learn how to build my own machine.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo