1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Computer will not boot, motherboard issue??

Hey guys, new to the forum here. Here is the issue. I hooked up a hard drive to my newer pc from an old pc to transfer some files. I got the files transfered over, and started watching a movie and fell asleep. I woke up to a black screen, and computer still running but no response. The PC would not power down from holding the power button down. So, I just unplugged it, then removed the hard drive. The PC will now not boot up at all. Power button gives no response. BUT the lights on the motherboard are still lit up when plugged in. There is a button on my power supply that will manually boot the PC, but once I let go of the button it powers down. I tried taking off the video card, same issue. I installed a new power supply to make sure and its the same results. Is this a motherboard issue, or something more simple that I'm just missing? The board is a EVGA Nforce 680i SLI. I'm running Vista with 4gigs of ram, an intel 2 duo core processor at 2.6ghz (i think). Let me know if I need to put anymore information. Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Try to clear the cmos.

With the computer off, unplug the power cord.

Hold the power button for about 5 seconds to discharge any energy.

Pop out the battery (looks like a oversized watch battery).

Find your cmos jumper on the mobo, switch it to the clear bios.

Let the system sit for about...an hour or so (30 min should do)

Put the battery back in

put the jumper back..

turn on.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

when hooking your hard disk did you determine which one is the master and which one is the slave because when both hard disk are master or both are slave is a nono when hooking hard disk
    my baby dragon

7. No Profile Picture

just check the cables that plug the power button to motherboard, it might be loose because of plugging other hard drive... master > slave can't be an issue as it was working after plugging it...
  9. No Profile Picture

I know it's an old thread though it's an unresolved one for that matter. Just today the exact same thing's happened to me as the person who started this thread, now to save me the trouble of troubleshooting (I will be in around an hour to try the battery/CMOS etc) has anyone found what the problem was?
  11. No Profile Picture

I've checked all my connectors, none are broken.

I've used a AMPMeter to check I'm getting the right current.

I've removed all components besides from the bare necessities.

I've cleared the CMOS.

I've loosened the CPUHS's pins just as a wild stab.

And none of the above have fixed or even given me an understanding of what the problem is.

Just to clarify my system has been working fine all week and I've made no changes at all recently, I don't see what could of brought this on to be honoust.

*Edit* I've also searched various other forums in reference to the motherboard I'm using (an ASUS P6T) in hope I could find some information though I couldn't identify any cases similar to mine and the person above.

There were some cases were the CMOS was being reset upon system crashes though nothing of the nature of not turning on.

Any information is very much appreciated.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo