1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

24 GB RAM in Intel S5000XVN with 1 proc

Hello,

I have ordered a server through a local computer shop, and unfortunately seem to have run into an issue.

The motherboard is an Intel S5000XVN, running with a single Intel Quad-core Xeon processor E545. We have attempted to put 24 GB of RAM into the server (6 x 4 GB) however it appears to be only be recognizing 16 GB. I am being told that for the board to support more than 16 GB of RAM, it will need to have a second identical processor installed.

Unfortunately this adds a huge expense onto this already expensive server, so I wanted to see if anyone is able to verify this information or has any ideas.

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I've called Intel and it sounds like all the RAM slots should work with a single processor, but that the last two sticks need to be on the same channel. It sounds like this configuration wasn't the case before so I've let the shop know this and hopefully it will work out.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hello,

I have a S5000XVNSATA MB. I have had it for three years now. Awhile back I tried to install two more (2 gig) sticks to get a total of 8 gigs of ram. The system would not boot up when all 4 (2x Gig) sticks were installed. I checked the ram by swapping the new out with the old and it would boot up fine as long as it only had 4 gigs on the board. I have spent endless hours on the phone with Intel and Microsoft. No one seems to be able to help me. Microsoft just says that Win XP Pro x64 can support 128 gigs of ram so it is not their issue. They say it must be a BIOS issue. I have the latest BIOS form Intel so they went through the settings and said it should work. But it does not. I bought ram of the compatibility list.

So I am going to try 2 (4 gig sticks) to see what happens. I will get it next week sometime. Has anyone experienced this problem?--Edit( 2x4 gig sticks did not work either)

Here are specs..

MB: S5000XVN Workstation/ Server Board....I use it as a workstation not a server.

OS: Win XP Pro X64...So I can use more that 4 gigs of ram which all my software can.

Dual E5320's ( 8 Cores total)

GeForce 7600 GS

Maxtor 160 GB SATA II/ 300 Hard Drive.

Intel Server Chassis SC5299-E/ WS

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Aaron

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo