1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dual non-SLI video cards in ASUS Maximus Motherboard won't boot

I have a custom built PC based upon the ASUS MAXIMUS Formula with a EVGA GeForce 8800 GT video card. Everything works great. I wanted to add a second identical video card to support four monitors. When I add the second card in, the PC will no longer boot. The external LCD Poster just says CPU INIT. The fans, disk drives, etc. do not power up. If I take the second video card back out, it boots up fine. The power supply is a 650 watt ANTEC which the box indicates that it supports dual video cards. Any idea as to what I need to do to support two video cards not linked via SLI? TIA!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by scififan
    I have a custom built PC based upon the ASUS MAXIMUS Formula with a EVGA GeForce 8800 GT video card. Everything works great. I wanted to add a second identical video card to support four monitors. When I add the second card in, the PC will no longer boot. The external LCD Poster just says CPU INIT. The fans, disk drives, etc. do not power up. If I take the second video card back out, it boots up fine. The power supply is a 650 watt ANTEC which the box indicates that it supports dual video cards. Any idea as to what I need to do to support two video cards not linked via SLI? TIA!
    Try each card individually in the system first. You know your first card works fine alone, but it doesn't work when paired with another card in non-SLI. It might help to make sure the second card works alone as well.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Beleaguered
    Try each card individually in the system first. You know your first card works fine alone, but it doesn't work when paired with another card in non-SLI. It might help to make sure the second card works alone as well.
    I updated the power supply from 650 watts to 850 watts and it now boots. Thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo