1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can this CPU replacement be Done??

i All

Currently i am using celeron 1.7 Ghz which I will replace by a P4(2.8 or 3.06) processor.
    Apparently there is a voltage difference between the processors

(Vcc VID ). V core (V)

Celeron 1.7 GHz is at 1.75V
    P4 3.06 Hz @ VID Voltage Range 1.340V-1.425V
    P4 2.8 GHz VID Voltage Range 1.340V-1.525V

Can i go ahead and replace the processor by any of them directly without any jumper resetting??
    Is processor replacement is plug and play ?

or do i need to do some jumper resetting specifically for this voltage adjustment?

I will have to change jumpers for FSB adjustment but did't came across anything that says about CPU voltage.

If the processor is rated at 533 FSB can it still works on 400 FSB
    (let it be at slow rate)

My board details are VIA P4M266A NDmx Mfg: Kobian
    As per the manual it takes all the P4 cpus
    This is a assembled unbranded PC
    and these days kobian website is closed.

thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Can i go ahead and replace the processor by any of them directly without any jumper resetting??
    Most motherboards will automatically adjust the CPU voltage. However not all of them do, and feeding too much power to the CPU is very bad. It would be necessary to locate and check the manual to be sure. If the manual doesn't say anything about it then it's probably automatic.

Is processor replacement is plug and play ?
    Generally yes, although Windows might require re-installation/reactivation because of the hardware change.

If the processor is rated at 533 FSB can it still works on 400 FSB
    The P4M266A chipset supports 533 Mhz natively.

As per the manual it takes all the P4 cpus
    It doesn't actually take all P4 cpus. P4 cpus were manufactured for four different physical sockets (423, 478, LGA775), and chances are extremely high that your motherboard only has one of these on it.

Celrons were manufactured with 6 different interfaces, two of which it shares in common with the P4. Since I doubt your motherboard has an LGA775, it probably has a 478 socket. You can tell fairly easily, if the pins are on the cpu then it's not an LGA.

You'll want to check the manual though or the physical processor to confirm that it's 478 though, because if you buy a cpu for the wrong socket you won't be able to physically plug it into the computer no matter what you do.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi E-Oreo

Thank you for the reply
    it solves my queries
    i will replace the cpu in coming week

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo