1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Sony Vaio And On/Off Switch

There is an on/off switch on the motherboard. The laptop was dead , so I removed the Bios battery, I shorted the pins of that switch and it worked!

I replaced that switch in a local shop. The switch is ok (I test it with a multimeter) but now sometimes the motherboard works and sometimes not.

Now sometimes I leave it for one or two days without power and BIOS battery or I change the ram and suddenly the motherboard works. I can turn it on and off without any problem. But when I try to put everything back, the same thing happens again and again.

It seems like there is a "internal alarm" which prevents the motherboard from starting.

But how much time the Bios needs to reset? I think one day without power is too much.

The motherboard is MBX-160.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Removing the BIOS battery will usually reset it in about 15-30 seconds. My guess is that the problem is not related to that. It sounds like something on the board itself is dying.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    It sounds like something on the board itself is dying.
    Yes, I agree with that. But I am not ready to accept it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo