Thread: USB 3.0 adapter

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question USB 3.0 adapter

Hello,

I already used all the available USB slots on the motherboard. I am thinking about using some adapter so that I can use some available ports outside of the case and then wire them into the case.

The available ports outside of the case are all USB 3.0 ports.

I have 9-pin 2 female USB headers that are hanging inside the case. One of them is for the case's USB port in the front and another one for a card reader.

I googled but I couldn't find any adapters.

motherboard_usb_connectors.PNG : Taken spots on the board. I need something that will look like this on one end of the adapter.

usb_connector.PNG : 1 of the 2 headers

usb_ports.PNG : USB 3.0 port outside of the case. The other end of the adapter will go into one of these ports.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Master__Chief; January 9th, 2016 at 12:40 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Master__Chief
    Hello,

I already used all the available USB slots on the motherboard. I am thinking about using some adapter so that I can use some available ports outside of the case and then wire them into the case.

The available ports outside of the case are all USB 3.0 ports.

I have 9-pin 2 female USB headers that are hanging inside the case. One of them is for the case's USB port in the front and another one for a card reader.

I googled but I couldn't find any adapters.

motherboard_usb_connectors.PNG : Taken spots on the board. I need something that will look like this on one end of the adapter.

usb_connector.PNG : 1 of the 2 headers

usb_ports.PNG : USB 3.0 port outside of the case. The other end of the adapter will go into one of these ports.

Any suggestions?

I think this is what I need. Thanks
    Attached Images
  5. Lazy Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Those are probably USB 2 headers. Check the motherboard specs. They'll work with the USB 3 connectors, but you'll only get USB 2 speeds out of them.

If you do want USB 3 then you'll need a PCI-E card like this which has internal USB ports (and probably external too) that you can connect the case's USB 3 cables to.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by requinix
    Those are probably USB 2 headers. Check the motherboard specs. They'll work with the USB 3 connectors, but you'll only get USB 2 speeds out of them.

If you do want USB 3 then you'll need a PCI-E card like this which has internal USB ports (and probably external too) that you can connect the case's USB 3 cables to.

I am trying to hook up the USB headers inside the case. It might work if there is a pci-e card with 9 pin male headers on them.
    thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo